Driveway Arch

Protege94

I am looking to make an arch over my driveway for this years display. I am wondering if anyone on here has done that and they they used to build it?

The driveway is slightly wider than a standard double wide and is about 30'-35' long.

I think once built I will use either LED string lights or LED net lights and multiple channels, probably 6-10 channels.

I used 3/4 inch pic and zip tied lights to it..I have pvc connecting each arch so they move as one. been using them for 4 years. Switching to pixels this year
1acf4296b7c0e03ed64c5f69e6eab605.jpg

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Im wanting to make mine where I can still park 2 SUVs under it side by side. Thinking metal pipes for the legs and build a car port style frame for it.

Those 2 examples look good tho. Have you ever had any issues with wind?

Im wanting to make mine where I can still park 2 SUVs under it side by side. Thinking metal pipes for the legs and build a car port style frame for it.

Those 2 examples look good tho. Have you ever had any issues with wind?

I have had issues, that is why i am thinking this year to use the 1.5 inch or maybe even 2 inch grey conduit, way less flex and make it easier to to keep still.

I am thankful i live in Houston where December weather is not bad, I don't use bracing except between the arches on the top, I use 4 foot rebar driven into the ground about halfway and slide the PVC over it. I don't even use any fasteners between the pipe sections only pipe fittings (2 10' and 1 4' on each arch) only tension to hold the pipes to the fittings. about once a year one will separate and i just reattach it...Once again thank God we rarely freeze in December in Houston...Heck many years I have to mow around my display elements..

I am thankful i live in Houston where December weather is not bad, I don't use bracing except between the arches on the top, I use 4 foot rebar driven into the ground about halfway and slide the PVC over it. I don't even use any fasteners between the pipe sections only pipe fittings (2 10' and 1 4' on each arch) only tension to hold the pipes to the fittings. about once a year one will separate and i just reattach it...Once again thank God we rarely freeze in December in Houston...Heck many years I have to mow around my display elements..

I liver on the Oregon coast, need i say more?

After thinking about it, I think I am doing to use a combination of PVC and cable. I have 2 trees at the front of my driveway (one on each side) and my basketball goal at the other end. So I think running a cable down the middle (10' high) and then draping LED net lights over it in an army tent type fashion will work best. That will allow us to use the drive way and it will also pack away easily (storage is a huge issue for me as we live in a 101 year old house without a garage or basement)

Does anyone use metal conduit instead of PVC?

Yes, I use 3/4 metal conduit. My driveway is about 24' wide. I have used it for several years without any problems (in high winds too). I used PVC the first few years until it got brittle and snapped (falling on top of our cars). No center support or wires. 1/2" rebar into the ground on either side of the arches mounted into the ground (just for the season). All 10 arches are tied together using PVC connectors.

IMG_1721.JPG

DJI_0054.JPG

Yes, I use 3/4 metal conduit. My driveway is about 24' wide. I have used it for several years without any problems (in high winds too). I used PVC the first few years until it got brittle and snapped (falling on top of our cars). No center support or wires. 1/2" rebar into the ground on either side of the arches mounted into the ground (just for the season). All 10 arches are tied together using PVC connectors.

View attachment 37192

View attachment 37193

I love your garage door. Is it still functional with the image attached?

New to site. Look forward to browsing more on here and learning new things. currently in a predicament. maybe someone can assist to get me through this year. I have a archway over double car driveway. It is 3 sticks 1/2" pvc (I know not to strong). Last two years it worked fine with my string lights. This year i decided to up the amount of lights and have 600 led( 2- 300 sets) per stick. I have 5 ft of rebar (1 1/2 Ft in ground 3 1/2 ft above ground which slide into pvc.) I also have cross support where my sticks link together, Nothing in middle and it's sagging and not keeping the arch look. Spent a lot of time this year winding the lights around the pvc and really not looking to unwind and start over. Any ideas to strengthen and reduce sag? Appreciate any help. Ryan

Back