Eagle question. Running external wire to board

rkhanso

I'm trying out the free version of Eagle, though haven't really used any other PCB software, either.

I'm trying to design a simple USB device charger board to put in my car. The problem I'm having is figuring out how to design the board's power input. I plan on putting the board in a small enclosure and have 2 wires come out of the box so I can connect them to the AUX power (switched with the ignition). I can't figure out how to just leave a couple pads on the schematic where I need to supply the power and ground - and then have it show up on the PCB.

I tried adding pads on the PCB and then routing manually to them, but Eagle just beeps and won't do it.

Hopefully that explained the trouble adequately.

It's the 2 pads at the bottom. One needs to connect to the diode and the other to ground, then I just solder a couple wires off the pads and then run them out the enclosure. Yes, I'll make a ground plane, but need to get this fixed first. I'm guessing it really needs to be done on the schematic, not the board.

USB.png

From the schematic, use the Wirepad from the component library - choose the one with the desired drill / pad sizes. Wire them to the appropriate points in the schematic so that you can route them on the board.

Last edited:
From the schematic, use the Wirepad from the component library - choose the one with the desired drill / pad sizes. Wire them to the appropriate points in the schematic so that you can route them on the board.
That worked perfect. Thanks.

I did see those videos. They are really good, too.

Back