Easy 6' Spinner StarFlakes

bcstuff

I wanted to share an inexpensive element I was designing that will be created using Boscoyo pixel mounting strips, pixel nodes and non-metallic conduit.

The idea came from Matt Johnson's huge snowflakes and a project I did back in January 2013 called Easy LED Snowflake Spinners.

The wife wants to switch to all pixels for 2017 so I designed a 6' version of a spinner, star, and snowflake with pixels. I have named them Spinner StarFlakes.

The first part is 2 10' pieces of Sch 40 non-metallic conduit attached together to create a pvc circle about 237" in circumfrence which will give a diameter of about 75" or 6'3". $3.50

Then next part of the element is James's Boscoyo pixel mounting strips. I calculated about 8 strips but with waste lets say 9 or 10 to make sure there is enough. $14

The circle is divided by 6 with attachment points on the outside the ring and the center pixel hole with 2 levels of branches to make an inner and outer 6 point star.

This drawing is to scale with the appropriate amount of pixels spaced at 2".

Spinner StarFlake small.jpg

With grouping in software, this will function as a 12 spoke spinner, a large 6 point star, a small 6 point star and a snowflake with 6 spokes for Mike (Wolfie).
Example of the nodes used for the snowflake grouping.

Spinner StarFlake Snowflake Only small.jpg

Total node count for this project with only 1 row of pixel nodes is 372. $112 (@ .30/node)

Grand total for this project $130 for a 6 foot pixel element.

I plan to build one and see if I like the single row of nodes. If I think it needs more I will make a parallel strip next to the current row to make it 2 pixels wide.

*** Tom (TomL8345) wrote up a how-to in the Wiki**
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=StarFlake_Spinner

Last edited:
Hi, a fantastic idea. I am a big fan of this sort of thinking, if you're going pixel (as oposed to dumb) then get as much out of the prop as you can.

I'd say it's time to fire up the 3D printer to make the odd-angle connectors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was just planning on using zip ties, the Boscoyo pixel mounting strips have 3 holes 1/8" holes every 1 inch.
I will use these on the roof lying flat, the older LED ones I had over 3 years had 2 zip ties break, popped a new one on and good to go. I think I am going to wrap the strip around the outside ring and zip tie to itself as shown in the top left of the mounting methods here, although this is an older picture with only 2 1/8" holes.

Pixel strip mounting.jpg
Picture credit James at Boscoyo Studios
https://www.boscoyostudio.com/#

Last edited:
Awesome idea just think you are gonna need some support to keep the pvc round. I used two pieces of pvc as base for a 10' tree and it didn't hold shape. I used Ts instead of unions and ran a piece of 1/2 inch from side to side. Worked nice after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Brian!

I love this idea! Anytime i can wire and power something, and use it for multiple elements, is a huge bonus.

Does your pixel count include the outer circle, as well as the inside strips?

Post more, and i will post as well as soon as i start building,

Michael

With that diameter you could put a couple sets of James' large arch coro around the outside perimeter and line the whole circle with lights as well. At 2" spacing that would be another 51 pixels.

I like the design, it has me thinking about a smaller version to fit onto a small section of porch roof I have.

Awesome idea just think you are gonna need some support to keep the pvc round. I used two pieces of pvc as base for a 10' tree and it didn't hold shape. I used Ts instead of unions and ran a piece of 1/2 inch from side to side. Worked nice after that.

Dkelly,
I used pvc conduit hoops on my previous build (Easy LED Snowflake Spinners) with mini lights strung between the outer circle, it flexed a little but it holds its shape pretty well. I use them on them flat on the roof so it really only needs to kind of hold its shape. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does your pixel count include the outer circle, as well as the inside strips?

Post more, and i will post as well as soon as i start building,

Michael

Michael, I did not include the outer circle as part of the nodes, but now that you mention it it might be interesting to add it.

With that diameter you could put a couple sets of James' large arch coro around the outside perimeter and line the whole circle with lights as well. At 2" spacing that would be another 51 pixels.

I like the design, it has me thinking about a smaller version to fit onto a small section of porch roof I have.

Chris, Looks like you are already figuring out how to do what Michael suggested. I was trying to figure out how I would make the strips go around a bend, but with the Boscoyo coro arch it might work great. One could use the medium arches as the ring for 4' version of my Spinner StarFlake.

Last edited:
Would love to see a video of this in action once you get it built. I am thinking of making a few but much smaller, like 2 or 3 feet across.

Last edited:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 4 pieces of gray electrical conduit on the bottom of my megatree as a base and it holds a rounder shape than pvc does. At least for me it does.

I too have had a much improved experience with the gray electrical conduit than white plumbing pvc. It is not as brittle and it holds a round shape better.
I use 4 pieces of gray electrical conduit on the bottom of my megatree as a base and it holds a rounder shape than pvc does. At least for me it does.

Brian,
So I took your design and made my first coroplast display. Now mine is only 2' wide but has the same Snowflake, Star & Spinner design. I used the coroplast to mount the pixels. I used xLights to program the lights and here is an example of what I have. I like it. Thanks for sharing this with us as it allows many difference patterns to be used so is very multi purpose.

https://youtu.be/rpz0ns-kIPU

Last edited:
Back