Effects Discussion

P. Short

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm working on a project that will end up creating a small pixel controller that will handle up to 50 pixels and use an nRF24L01 module for communications. The intent is that each 50-pixel string will have one of these controllers directly attached to it with minimal (if any) wiring between the controller and the string. There will be other modules as well for handling AC light strings, but that is something for possibly another discussion. These controllers are created for my sole use, I'm not intending to sell them or make them available to the public. And, yes, I'm aware that this has some overlap with other projects out there, especially espixelstick, but I'm doing this because it's fun and I want my own stamp on my projects/displays.

What I'm interested in, though, is what type of effects would be useful to incorporate into the controllers. The reason for this is that the nRF24L01 has limited bandwidth. With a 1Mbps air data rate the useful user data rate is around 800Kbps after taking into account various overheads (sync bytes, address bytes, crc-bytes and interpacket recovery gaps). At a 40Hz update rate that would limit the number of pixels that could be supported to around 833 some-odd pixels if 24-bits of data is sent for every pixel, which is less that what I would like to see.

So I'm thinking of taking advantage of spatial or temporal correlation between the pixels (or both) to reduce the amount of data that is sent over the air. For example, one 32-byte nRF24L01 packet might include a byte to reset the entire pixel string data to all-off, followed by a multi-byte command to change the 'color' of some range of those pixels (either all to the same 'color' or a linearly changing sequence of 'colors'). Or perhaps instead of specifying a range of pixels perhaps a bit-map of pixels to change (for sparkle or similar effects). Another possibility is to send a single command to specify a dimming effect (either up or down) over some range of pixels and at some rate.

Although this is going to be a completely private project, I'd be interested in hearing what sort of effects that people are commonly using in their shows.

If you haven't used WLED , I would suggest giving it a go on a Wemos or esp32 . You will be able to test an overabundance of effects plus design your own within the GUI.

I am not suggesting you abandon/replace your own intended creation , just merely recommending a firmware already available that you may get effect / design ideas from via its usage and experimentation.

That said , I am quite interested in your ideas for wireless AC control. Especially if it is just for a handful of channels :thup:

I am currently waiting on some single channel AC dimming boards from China that I'm hoping to control as R,G or B via Shelby's E1.31 .

Is there any coherent written information about the capabilities of WLED? The youtube tutorials that I found were too slow-paced and not in-depth to the degree that I would like.

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning on controlling those RobotDyn boards (assuming that's what you're talking about)? They appear to be simply one-channel AC SSRs with isolation and regular (non-zero-crossing) triacs.

Last edited:
Is there any coherent written information about the capabilities of WLED? The youtube tutorials that I found were too slow-paced and not in-depth to the degree that I would like.

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning on controlling those RobotDyn boards (assuming that's what you're talking about)? They appear to be simply one-channel AC SSRs with isolation and regular (non-zero-crossing) triacs.

These are the two best resources I know of for WLED.

https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED/wiki
https://wled.discourse.group/categories

Yes the Robo AC modules is what I am waiting for . Using an esp32 for control & the Robo Pot dimmer example code. I will sub out the pot with ws2811 data in a E1.31 sketch.

Just hoping there will be no conflicts !

Mike,

What is leading you to want to incorporate effects into AC controllers? The main reason that I'm moving in that direction for the pixel dimmer project is to reduce the amount of data to be transferred over the air from the controller to the dimmer. I'm not seeing the same usefulness for AC dimmers, as they typically have a much lower channel count, and the overall channel count would have to get pretty high (north of 25,000 channels) for that to be a factor. To be clear, my mental model for using either of these dimmers is that there is some sort of data source (PC, Pi, BB, etc) continually sending data to the dimmers in real time as a show progresses.

I also have a question regarding your desire for 120 Hz updating of AC lights/strings. Are you thinking that this updating should be closely synchronized with the audio output device, and if so, how? I'm thinking that communications latencies, coupled with allowed variance in AC line frequency may make that somewhat of an issue. Or is this just a non-issue?

Interesting, that's what I thought you might have meant. I would also think of adding a dfplayer and amp so that it becomes something like a "wee little talker", except for lights instead of servos. There are lots of useful ideas in the Halloween prop world for that type of device.

You're right about processor prices, so most of the cost is going to be in the SSR's and interconnect.

As a side note, an alternate build of the Renard-SS boards (using PIC16F1825 processors instead of PIC16F688 processors) with appropriate firmware could provide an elementary version of a standalone controller. That part has plenty of internal instruction bandwidth, and plenty of self-writable FLASH memory for holding effects data/instructions. It also has the resources for 1024 or perhaps 2048 levels of dimming for smooth effects-based brightness ramping effects. A long pulse on the serial input line could be used as a trigger from a PIR or similar.

Some of this I've coded for other projects, but I don't know if I want to pursue this very far given the generally declining interest in AC controllers.

Last edited:
Back