ESPixelStick Group Buy - E1.31 WiFi Pixel Controller kit

sporadic

ESPixelStick Group Buy - CLOSED

Assembly and Usage Manual: http://forkineye.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ESPixelStick-Assembly-and-Usage.pdf

THE LAW
Group Buy Rules - read before posting in this thread: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?19400-Group-Buy-Rules

By participating in this Group Buy all participants agree to release www.doityourselfchristmas.com, its Owners, Administrators, Moderators or any other staff of any and all liability and waive all rights I may have under all laws and governing bodies. By posting in this thread you agree you are entering a binding contract between the Organizer (me) and the Participant. In our to participate from this forum, you MUST be a supporting member per the GB rules.

The Good Stuff!

This is a group buy for the ESPixelStick, an E1.31 WiFi pixel controller built around the ESP8266 in an Arduino environment. I have a write-up on my site that details it here. It is a single universe controller that currently supports WS2811 pixels, with plans for other pixels in the future (GECE next on the list). Jumper configuration is provided for support of a 12V or 5V supply. The firmware is open source and available here. Once connected to your WiFi network, further configuration can be done via the embedded web server. The controller is small enough to fit inside 1" thin wall PVC, allowing you to embed the controller next to your element eliminating issues of long pixel runs. The ESPixelStick is being provided in kit form, with all SMD components pre-soldered. Please feel free to address any questions or concerns in this thread, thank you!

ESPixelStick Prototype:
DSCF2487-300x161.jpg

*Group Buy boards will have the wafer connector replaced with a pluggable screw terminal, similar to euro-style plugs.

ESPixelStick Layout:
ESPixelStick.jpg

ESPixelStick Group Buy Costs
ESPixelStick Kit* - Includes all SMD pre-soldered and BOM (minus ESP-01) - $10 each
ESP-01 Module* (optional, but required to complete) - $3 each
Shipping** - All US shipping will done via USPS Priority Mail small flat rate boxes - $5.95
* PayPal fees are included in these costs
** each box should hold around 15 kits.

THT BOM - This is the BOM provided for you to solder.
1 - 8x11.5 100uF Capacitor
2 - 5x11.5 100uF Low ESR Capacitor
1 - Mini ATM Fuse Holder
1 - 3A Mini ATM Fuse
2 - 1x3 Header
1 - 2x4 Header
1 - Jumper
1 - HT3.96-6P plug and right angle socket
2 - Tactile Switch

How to Participate
I'm doing this a little different than most group buys. To ease logistics and keep orders / shipping straight, I've created a Google Form for participants to fill out. I will periodically review submissions, issue invoices via PayPal and update this thread with participants. Please allow a day for me to invoice you. If there are any questions or concerns, please feel free to post about them in this thread. If you have not received a PayPal invoice from me by 12PM EST on 8/24, CONTACT ME ASAP.
Order Form - ESPixelStick Group Buy Form

Important Dates
Due to interest and since we're getting close the season, the dates on this buy are pretty short. I'm hoping to have these wrapped up and in your hands by late September.
Expected Shipment - Mid to Late September
Participant cut-off - 8/23
Payment cut-off - 8/26

http://forkineye.com/ESPixelStick

Admin Page on a Nexus 4:
ESPixelStick_Root-180x300.png

ESPixelSticks in action:

Last edited:
Were / will you be able to get more than 1 universe out of it?

I haven't had a chance to work on the multi-universe code, so I can't guarantee support beyond one yet. I am however very confident that support for two universes (on one output) is feasible. Anything beyond that is questionable. I did have 4 universes processing in a previous prototype with sporadic resets and narrowed it down to the pixel generation code causing the resets. The radio can handle it just fine, its the time to send the pixel stream that causes the resets. For two universes, this shouldn't be a problem. I just need to add it to the firmware, make it simple to configure, and do some testing.

Daily Update
First of all, I want to say thanks everyone for supporting this Group Buy. I'm planning for daily updates as the buy progresses to keep everyone informed. All orders as of this status update should be invoiced. If you haven't received an invoice or response from me by the time of this status, please let me know ASAP. So far, everything is looking good and we're on track for shipping orders in mid-September. Thanks!

STATUS - 10AM EST 8/19
Total Participants: 18
Total Kit Orders: 110

What do you think would be the maximum number of GECEs that would be supported per device? Will it be limited to 63? I have been looking for a e1.31 solution on arduino for GECEs and this would be much better.

Aside from what is included in your sale, what all is required to be purchased to program this guy? From my understanding, this is powered from your PS, connects to the data input of your controller, and you are good to go?

What do you think would be the maximum number of GECEs that would be supported per device? Will it be limited to 63? I have been looking for a e1.31 solution on arduino for GECEs and this would be much better.
It would still be limited as its the nature of the GECE protocol and timing restrictions that the ESP8266 has for generating the pixel stream. Note that the GECE not supported yet, only planned. A user has generously sent me a few GECE pixels so that I add support for them. Hoping to have updates on GECE support by next week.

Aside from what is included in your sale, what all is required to be purchased to program this guy? From my understanding, this is powered from your PS, connects to the data input of your controller, and you are good to go?
Correct. Any USB to Serial TTL module supported by your system should. I've been using this one from eBay. Only ground, rx, and tx are connected from the module. You'll need to connect the ESPixelStick to your power supply to power it during programming. I'll have wiring diagrams and more detailed information on how to flash it in the docs, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thank you sir; got the invoice, paid the invoice, then realized my supporting membership on here had expired, and paid that!

Thank you sir; got the invoice, paid the invoice, then realized my supporting membership on here had expired, and paid that!
Thanks for supporting the site and the group buy!

Daily Update
All orders as of this status update should be invoiced. If you haven't received an invoice or response from me by the time of this status, please let me know ASAP!.

Confirmed a 1-2 week turn-around with the board house and everything is to be expressed shipped to me. Everything is finalized and most of the components are already on their way. Will be placing board orders soon as the group buy wraps up. We're still looking good for shipping orders in mid-September. Thanks!

STATUS - 11AM EST 8/20
Total Participants: 23
Total Kit Orders: 134

Thank you for the update! I'm not sure anyone has done a daily update before!
Thanks! I figured it would be best since the thread doesn't get much traffic due to the Google Forms I'm using for the orders. The form has made this soooo much easier to track. Everything just gets dumped in a spreadsheet, and I just added some columns to keep track of invoiced, paid, and ship status. Highly recommend checking it out for anyone doing GB's in the future.

Daily Update
All orders as of this status update should be invoiced. If you haven't received an invoice or response from me by the time of this status, please let me know ASAP!.

Everything is still on track. I'm in the process of creating an ESP8266 specific pixel library to make it easier for adding clockless pixels in the future. Hoping to have it worked out this weekend. Once this is completed, I'll add GECE support which should be trivial at that point. A forum user has graciously sent me a few GECE pixels to test with, thanks for that!

STATUS - 10AM EST 8/21
Total Participants: 29
Total Kit Orders: 166

-shelby

Daily Update

Everything is still on track. I have a couple of people waiting to hear back from me on International shipping. I had hope to get back to you today, but just have been too busy. I will have you an answer tomorrow, promise!

STATUS - 830PM EST 8/22
Total Participants: 32
Total Kit Orders: 191

-shelby

Last edited:
Daily Update

Everything is still on track. Any questions should be followed up on. If not, please contact me!

I spent yesterday and this morning hashing out a different way to generate the pixel stream on the ESP8266 so that we don't have to rely on bit-banging. There are some benefits to come from this which I'm hoping to get into next week, but for right now it means I can start on GECE support. Not that GECE needed to be done differently, but there are future benefits to reap :)

STATUS - 130PM EST 8/23
Total Participants: 35
Total Kit Orders: 205

-shelby

Also wanted to note, the group buy wraps up at midnight, EST. I'll be placing board orders first thing tomorrow.

Daily Update
All orders as of this status update should be invoiced. The Group Buy is now CLOSED -- If you haven't received an invoice or response from me by now, please let me know ASAP!.

The order has been placed with the board house. Many components are already on their way and the rest will be ordered today. I will you posted throughout the week as things progress.

STATUS - 8AM EST 8/24
Total Participants: 43
Total Kit Orders: 269

-shelby

Update
From here on out, I'll be doing periodic updates as things progress on the buy. Confirmation of the board orders was received yesterday and they are currently in manufacturing. All other parts are on their way as well. I'm in the progress of doing some firmware enhancements and adding GECE support. This past weekend, I worked out a new way to generate the WS2811 stream on the ESP8266 using the UART. This gets us away from having to bit-bang ws2811 which requires disabling interrupts which was causing issues with supporting higher universe counts. I've been testing the new code for a few days and its proving to be solid. It's a little early to say as I still have more testing to do, but what this means is the ESPixelStick may support 4 universes (single output) by the time you get them. I'm seeing 4 universes of data on my analyzer, I just don't have that many pixels readily available to test with. Working on that part.. No promises yet, but your single universe controllers may become four universe controllers :)

-shelby

Update
No promises yet, but your single universe controllers may become four universe controllers :)

-shelby

I'm floored. I was just looked for a way to handle some WS2811 based floods. Now its likely I'd be able to do much more than that.

Thank you, sir, for what you're doing.

Back