ESPixelStick V4 SD card wiring & FPP connect

mel4853

I'm making a board and I'm using a ESp32 D1 mini. I'm using GPIO 18-23 as stated in the platform definitions. I'm using GPIO 26 for CS on the SD card and GPIO 2, 4, 0 and 5 for the outputs to pixels. This all seems to work with exception to only being able to load 4 sequences at a time through FPP connect. Any more will result only part of the sequence getting saved to SD card. Also I have 11 sequences and I'm using V4 beta 5 and I see all 11 in file management. If I program the ESP32 with any release after V4 beta 5 I can only see 10 of the sequences. I know it's there because I can play it, just can't see all 11 in the file management page.
I'm using a seperate show network Raspberry Pi 3B+ with ETH0 going to my main network for internet and a USB to Ethernet adaptor (ETH1) going to my seperate show router. The only WIFI is from the show router to the ESPixelSticks and right now it is 4' away. I don't believe the network is the problem because I can see all the controllers from the FPP player and xlights also finds them all. I'm also on xlights 2024.8.

I assume by see, you mean gets displayed in the file manager UI.
  • Does the file show up on the list of files that can be manually played?
  • Please send me a copy of the file you cannot see.
  • Are there any special characters in the file name?
  • What happens if that is the only file on the SD card?

That is correct it does not display in the file manager UI. It is not just the 1 file, I've loaded the sequences in different orders and anything over the 10th sequence does not display in the file manager UI. This could be any of the sequences. I can see the files in the list of files that I can play manually, or I can play it from my Falcon Player (Multisync Setup). This is how I know they're there. One other thing to add I forgot was when loading the sequences, I load 4 and when that's done load 4 more. After that 4 I load the last 3 and I may have to try to load the last 3 a couple times to get the full sequences to save. Hard to reproduce this one, doesn't happen all the time.

OK I will take a look. As for xLights, it has a devil of a time uploading files to the ESP. no idea why. My browser has far fewer issues (but not zero).

I just booted my ttgo t8 with 60 sequences on the flash card and they all show up on the UI. Can you send me a picture of the admin page?

I was reading on the forum about SD cards just now and found a post back from 2016 that says a 10k pullup on MISO. I do not have that at the moment. Could this change the outcome of uploading??

Attachments

• MISO Pullup.PNG
    MISO Pullup.PNG
    87.5 KB · Views: 7
I can send the admin page snapshot when I get home. I won't get back home until after 7:30 tonight. Thank you for all your help with this.

I can add that resistor easy enough. The board is all made and 99% surface mount but I can get on the ESP32 socket pins on the back very easy. Thanks for all your help.

Here's some screenshots. Amazing Grace is missing but I can play it from Falcon Player so I know it's there. I have a custom ESP32 that has 8mb flash on it as I seen on admin page and I forgot about.

Attachments

• Admin Page.JPG
    Admin Page.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 6
  • File Manage Page.JPG
    File Manage Page.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    393.8 KB · Views: 6
So I loaded the newest firmware and still only 10 display in file manager. I loaded the sequences in reverse order this time and now the Silver sequence is missing.

Attachments

• File Manager1.JPG
    File Manager1.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Admin Page1.JPG
    Admin Page1.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 3
I loaded the newest firmware on a Wemos D1 mini (ESP32) and got the same result as above. I had to load a few sequences like 3 times to get the full sequence on the SD card with the Wemos D1 mini. The custom ESP32 I have has the same pinout as the Wemos and 99% of the time I can load the sequences the first time. I still can only load 4 sequences at a time. I tried 5 at a time and it's a 50/50 chance it will load the full sequence. All the sequences will play directly from xlights.

Ok I got some time to mess around with this.
1. I added 2 more sequences for testing. I now have 13 sequences
2. I added the resistor as stated before, this made it worse.
3. I changed my network setup around and this made a big difference. I can load all 13 files with a very good success rate.
4. Now comes the problem, when using the beta 5 build all is happy. I see all 13 sequences. When I program the April 22 build only 12 of the sequences show in file manager. Run Rudolph seems to be the one that doesn't show up. It won't let me attach the sequence. Unsupported file and the .fseq is too big for server.

I can't attach it here. It says unsupported file type and the .fseq is too big. I can send it however works for you.

It's been a rough day just not all with it. Try that attachment.

Attachments

• Run Rudolph Run.zip
    361.8 KB · Views: 4
Did a little more testing, that sequence is ok. (Run Rudolph Run). FPP connect loads the sequences to sd card from the bottom of the list going up in the FPP connect UI. It is the 10th sequences to load from FPP connect that doesn't show in the file management page of ESPixelStick. I unchecked the bottom sequence in FPP connect and loaded all the rest of the sequences and the sequence missing in file management page is the 10th sequence that loads. It seems to be the 10th sequence every time. I erased the card and did this 3 times and it's always the 10th sequence to load that is missing. On the other ESP32 I have V4-beta 5 programmed on it, all sequences load. None of the sequences are missing from the file management page on this version.

Back