Everything stopping but not freezing

crazybob

I also posted this on the new bugzilla forum, but i'm not sure if we're moved completely over there yet or not so I figured id post here as well.
Every time I run my program (which consists of multiple sequences), Vixen will
play one song, and then stop. The program manager shows that it is still
running, as I can manually push the stop button... but the next sequence never
shows up. If I open one sequence into the editor, and play it from there, it
will play fine; but once that sequence is done I can't get another one to run
until I restart the program. Sometimes it will freeze up, other times it will
play but the lights just won't work. I'm using a commercial DMX unit that I
used last year, so I know it's nothing wrong with that.
Anyone know what I should do? We're supposed to have the show running starting tonight...

Crazybob,

On thought that might explain some of your problems: The program that you are testing do you have "use each sequences's plugin setup" checked? If yes then check the plugin settings for the sequence that is running but nothing is appearing, likely that sequence does not have the preview selected. If this explains the situation then you might consider using one of the other two options (use a profile, or use programs plugin setup) to ensure the execution of the program is consistent for all sequences. Good luck.

Bill

Thanks for the reply -

I'm already using a profile for all the sequences. They all run just fine when I open one and push play, but when I try to run them in a program one after another, everything stops working after the song ends. The program manager shows it's still playing, but nothing actually works.

I am having the same problem.
Mine runs for about 2 hours and locks up.
I have to close Vixen and reset timers and it will run for another 2 hours.
I am using the Renard Modified and i am also using a profile.

I switched to a new computer today and all is working great!
I copied the entire Vixen folder over so nothing changed in Vixen.
I have not isolated the problem but new hardware works.
The PC with the problem is a DELL and the one working is home built.

Acting on a suggestion from a friend who also uses vixen, I reformatted my show computer last night, and it vixen seems to be running smoother now. Unfortunatly, I still get the "vixen needs to close" message 3 or 4 times a night. When this happens, the music keeps running, but all the lights "freeze" where they are. Once in a while they'll pick back up where they left off, but they keep freezing every ten seconds or so. Once I restart vixen, everything runs fine again. It's freezng at different points in the show, not the same point every time.

I have the same problem; but with background sequences. I'm VERY curious of other people's setup; and how they don't get these problems.

I’m having a similar problem.:( I’m using a profile and the modified Renard and a USB to RS232 dongle. Vixen plays 2-4 sequences, and then stops flashing the lights; the music still plays. Sometimes when I press stop, the button toggles but nothing happens. If I try to close the timer window, Vixen asks me if it’s OK, but when I click yes, the window stays. I have to exit Vixen t close everything.

I tried both a single profile and the one in each sequence. It fails the same either way. It always finishes a sequence first.

I thought it might be the USB dongle so I fired up 1.1 from last year and it plays without any problems.

At least I know it's not only me. I've tried updating the bugzilla entry since i've reformatted, but something seems to be wrong with the site.
Upon playing with the software even more, i've noticed that any time i open a routine, press play, and then stop it mid-playback the whole program freezes up... EVERY time!

Even though 1.1 ran last night, I noticed that it couldn’t keep up with the fast multiple on/off changes. This morning I found out that there was still a piece of Vixen 2.0 running; I’m assuming that it’s the timer that I couldn’t close last night.

I’m going to try again tonight. I only had the Renard plug-in loaded, last night. Tonight I’m going to try it with the visualizer plug-in also. Maybe slowing the output down just a bit will help. I’d been loading both plug-in’s on my sequencing computer most of the year and hadn’t had any problems.

I think it has something to do with profiles. I had the same issue when I told it to use a profile. I changed it to use each sequence's profile, so far it hasn't locked up. All sequences use the same profile.:confused:

I have the same problem whether I use a master profile or individual one’s. Loading the visualizer didn’t help, it made it worse. Now the visualizer aborts complaining about invalid values and that I should only use positive values. I don’t know what that’s telling me. The Vixen directory was copied off of my desktop, which works fine, onto a USB memory stick. Then the directory was dropped onto a notebook. Both systems run similar speeds. I really don’t know what to change.:(

Vixen 1.1 runs like a champ. The only problem is the sequences are a couple of years old and way too flashy. I’ve smoothed them out and added some new one’s but they only run on 2.0.

I have had my show stop after 1.5 hours. I am using the Program profile option, turned off the plugins on my profile. All my sequences use my profile.

One thought had tonight when it stalled is my monitor went into sleep mode. I then checked my power settings to make sure that my computer didn't go into a sleep mode. I have a Dell Optiplex GX280(P4, 3.2 Ghz, with 2 Gb of ram in dual channel mode that has nothing on it but Windows XP and a wireless network card. I even thought about disabling the wireless duriung the show. Any desperate attempt to keep the dang thing running.

Last edited:
I have had my show stop after 1.5 hours. I am using the Program profile option, turned off the plugins on my profile. All my sequences use my profile.

One thought had tonight when it stalled is my monitor went into sleep mode. I then checked my power settings to make sure that my computer didn't go into a sleep mode. I have a Dell Optiplex GX280(P4, 3.2 Ghz, with 2 Gb of ram in dual channel mode that has nothing on it but Windows XP and a wireless network card. I even thought about disabling the wireless duriung the show. Any desperate attempt to keep the dang thing running.

I had the same thoughts this morning, but nothing seems to help. BugZilla still seems to be having problems, and I don't know if KC still checks these threads or not, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Same problems here. All about 1.2 to 1.5 hours in. Monitor also in sleep/screen saver mode. Checked settings as well. Didn't see you mention,... I am running DMX with the LYNX Dongle.

Other than that,... Vixen is running like a champ. Can't tell if it is a Vixen problem at this point, a computer/ configuration issue or a combination.

Leon

I am having the same issues. I have only one sequence so far married to a profile, and I am NOT using the scheduler or a program...I just click on the "loop this sequence" button and hit play. After about 2 hours, no more blinky flash, no more music, and I go to see what's going on. The computer is sitting idle, (not asleep) and is at the beginning of the sequence. I click play again and the play button depresses, but nothing happens. I have to close vixen, reopen vixen, open sequence, click "loop this sequence" and click play again to get the show back on the road. This has happened two nights in a row now.

I managed to fix all my lockup problems by going back to 2.0.5 and turning off auto-updates. If you haven't already done that I really suggest it is a good starting point.

I also had a problem with the scheduler not seeing changes I made to a profile so I have gone back to loading the profile against each sequence and telling the scheduler to "use each sequences profile"

I hope this helps. Jon

I had the same thoughts this morning, but nothing seems to help. BugZilla still seems to be having problems, and I don't know if KC still checks these threads or not, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I was talking with KC all day yesterday. He has sent me some files to test. He think he knows what is causing the issue with the Renard plugin but he is not 100% because he can not reproduce the errors. I am going to do some testing today and see if the new files fix things. He is hesitant to release the files to everyone right now as they have not been tested and he does not want anyone to loose their show. It is always possible you d/l the files and Vixen breaks totally. Keep your fingers crossed.

I managed to fix all my lockup problems by going back to 2.0.5 and turning off auto-updates. If you haven't already done that I really suggest it is a good starting point.

I also had a problem with the scheduler not seeing changes I made to a profile so I have gone back to loading the profile against each sequence and telling the scheduler to "use each sequences profile"

I hope this helps. Jon

Thanks Jon,

I am running R 2.0.5 and updates are turned off. I am thinking it may be a problem with my show somputer though which is why I was looking at power manbagement settings. Didn't find anything though although I turned my screen saver off as well as the password prompt for logging back in as that is the state I am finding it in. Like others I get back in and find that although Vixen is running, I can't get it to run the show again without restarting Windows XP. It is frustrating as last night while doing this work around one of my MR16 controllers decided during a power cycle to loose it's start address. Ugggh!

Funny thing is, although I fixed it (after the show), I'm probably the only one who noticed it. :)

Leon

Back