Feature Request: HLS API for Sequence Control

szaske

My big project this year is building a button. One of my neighbors has been complaining about the Christmas music being too loud, and so I'm building a big button that will turn up the audio for 3.5 minutes before lower the volume again. So I'll have a sign that says "Press Button for Music." HLS will be playing my sequences as normal, and my button when pressed will turn up the audio volume for about the length of a song before muting the volume. It's been a fun project, but it's got me thinking. It would definitely be cool if I could also control HLS from this button. I think I've asked for something similar in the past, so I'm not holding my breathe...but I thought I'd request it again. Here is what I'd want to do with HLS.

1. My lights are playing my "generic lights sequence" in a loop, over and over. It just twinkles the lights with no audio.
2. HLS has all my other song sequences loaded into memory...so they can start quickly.
3. Someone walks by and presses my button. Audio goes to full and I call a HLS API that kicks off the next song sequence in the HLS playlist.
4. Once the song ends HLS returns to loop "generic lights sequence" again.

So in this new scenario, a button press doesn't just control volume, it also kicks off an HLS sequence. If there is a way to already accomplish this let me know. I think it would be pretty cool to turn my house into a giant jukebox.

-=Steve

I'm not committing to anything -- but this is the path I would look into ...

Our desktop computer don't like to take outside signals in ... so ... they like to communicate via networks.

Get an ESP and and have it sense your buttons. The ESP -- connected to your home network via WiFi sends a UDP command to your program that is playing your sequence.

The Player program performs the task requested by the UDP message.

Hope that helps ... This is what I would look into if I wanted to go down that path.

Joe

I don't know what you mean by ESP. Please clarify. And just to be clear on my end, I'm driving my button from a Raspberry Pi device. The button is connected to GPIO pins on the Pi and I've written a Python script that when it sees a button press sends the proper network commands to my network connected receiver to adjust the audio volume. If the HLS player had the ability I'd want to control it via my Python script just like I'm controlling my Onkyo receiver. There are several Python UDP libraries out there, so it wouldn't be very difficult for me to code...but I know this would be a lot of work on your end, so I'm honestly not expecting this functionality. But I think it's good for all of us users to be sharing with you what we're wanting to do.

-=Steve

Back