Feature Request: "House Layout" instead of "Sequence Layout"

szaske

I've now been running a xmas light show for 4 years. I'm hoping you can make updating our sequences an easier task. Here is my workflow for each new year:

1. Copy my old sequences and rename the sequences to "Mr Grinch 2016"
2. Add some new lights (this is the fun part) to my house
3. Pick one sequence and upgrade the channels to add my new light channels to that sequence.
4. Create some new display groups, for the new light channels
5. Create some new Segment channels, for the new light channels
6. Update some older Segment channels to include the new light channels
7. Save the "Sequence Layout" for this template sequence to a library.
8. Load up Song Sequence #2 into HLS
9. Import the saved "Sequence Layout" into the Song Sequence #2.
10. Export this new combined "Sequence Layout" to the library
11. Repeat for each song.

Eventually I get to a state where all 10 songs have the same shared and merged "Sequence layout". I'm just starting to get to the process for this year and it got me thinking. I think a better approach would be to have HLS instead build a shared "House Layout". Adding new channels to the "House layout" would add the channels to all sequences assigned to that "House Layout." Adding a Display Group to the "House layout" would mean all my sequences assigned to that "House layout" would get access to the new display group. Same thing for segment channels and pixel planes. I think this new configuration approach would make my "update my sequences" task a LOT easier.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, please reply here so Joe knows how many users this would benefit.

-=Steve

I've now been running a xmas light show for 4 years. I'm hoping you can make updating our sequences an easier task. Here is my workflow for each new year:

1. Copy my old sequences and rename the sequences to "Mr Grinch 2016"
2. Add some new lights (this is the fun part) to my house
3. Pick one sequence and upgrade the channels to add my new light channels to that sequence.
4. Create some new display groups, for the new light channels
5. Create some new Segment channels, for the new light channels
6. Update some older Segment channels to include the new light channels
7. Save the "Sequence Layout" for this template sequence to a library.
8. Load up Song Sequence #2 into HLS
9. Import the saved "Sequence Layout" into the Song Sequence #2.
10. Export this new combined "Sequence Layout" to the library
11. Repeat for each song.

Eventually I get to a state where all 10 songs have the same shared and merged "Sequence layout". I'm just starting to get to the process for this year and it got me thinking. I think a better approach would be to have HLS instead build a shared "House Layout". Adding new channels to the "House layout" would add the channels to all sequences assigned to that "House Layout." Adding a Display Group to the "House layout" would mean all my sequences assigned to that "House layout" would get access to the new display group. Same thing for segment channels and pixel planes. I think this new configuration approach would make my "update my sequences" task a LOT easier.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, please reply here so Joe knows how many users this would benefit.

-=Steve

Sound Good, "Updating: works" but a simpler process would be very nice.
cheers Boof63

Back