File Library PCB Schematics

Bwinter

Banned User
I just noticed in the DIYC File Library there is a section for sharing "open source" (?) PCB files, and it looked like it was quite active until several years ago. Are PCB schematics not posted as frequently anymore, and was there something that transpired that stopped posting?

I'm asking, because while I'm not remotely competent to design my own board from scratch, there are a few boards out there that I like conceptually--but they aren't quite configured exactly how I would want for my own use. I'd like to be able to try my hand at making some of my own modifications to some of these board. Part of a learning experience to see exactly what these boards look like, and then partly to see what it would actually take to get a few of my own boards printed.

Something tells me that there's probably a very legitimate reason why the original authors of these boards might be reluctant to post their schematics. Or maybe because it's just because nobody's asked recently?

Some things folks don't want to share, otherwise, its just being lazy and a function of the fact that github is now 'the' place to store open source information.
I just noticed in the DIYC File Library there is a section for sharing "open source" (?) PCB files, and it looked like it was quite active until several years ago. Are PCB schematics not posted as frequently anymore, and was there something that transpired that stopped posting?

I'm asking, because while I'm not remotely competent to design my own board from scratch, there are a few boards out there that I like conceptually--but they aren't quite configured exactly how I would want for my own use. I'd like to be able to try my hand at making some of my own modifications to some of these board. Part of a learning experience to see exactly what these boards look like, and then partly to see what it would actually take to get a few of my own boards printed.

Something tells me that there's probably a very legitimate reason why the original authors of these boards might be reluctant to post their schematics. Or maybe because it's just because nobody's asked recently?

You might look in the COPPER section of the file library. Sometimes the schematics are included with the layout files. I know I left a number of things there long ago but the boards were laid out first and we were too lazy to make the schematic afterward... normally one might make the schematic first but here at the DIGWDF lab, our engineers just jump right in and try something that looks logical...

...once in a while we get some magic smoke, but that's all part of the fun... :freak:

Yeah, i look in both file-sharing location. Doesn’t look like much has been added in the past several years.

For the screwy products the DIGWDF engineers devise, you can also go to the DIGWDF store and look at our documentation.

Each of our products has an assembly & user guide and a schematic is usually included in it. BTW, it's also our belief that one should not put out a product without first completing the assembly/user guide, and we're quite up-to-date with guides that are adequately illustrated and complete.

We quit posting them otherwise because it just made more sense to us to put all the information in one place -- in our store along with the products themselves. This way the user doesn't have to search all over kingdom come for the information -- it's all in one place as well as the availability of the actual product. It also makes it easier for us to update when we change a product.

When we eventually close down the store, we'll post all the guides, Gerbers and the actual design layout files in the diychristmas.org forum. Some of them are already there for items that we're out of stock and have discontinued.

FWIW, don't be afraid to get into messing around with circuit board design. Jump in and try something. Learn how to home-etch a board, too. Most of the time we'll design something, etch a couple boards and have a prototype to test an hour later. Here's a short video that shows how easy it can be...

https://vimeo.com/74327192

[VIMEO]74327192[/VIMEO]

Back