Firegod Flicker is back....

Re: Firegod Flicker is back....RESOLVED!!!!!

Well, the persistence was well worth it!!
David (Firegod) has been an incredible help with all this, and just continues to be a wonderful person to work with. Always willing to do everything he can to help, regardless of where he is in all of his travels.

The problem turned out to be that my SSR's were staying fired (occasionally, hence the flicker) for the next part of the half cycle on the power line. When this happened, the bulb burned very brightly for that entire half cycle since the triac stayed fired.

Firegod sent me a new set of firmware files that turned the output of the channel off just a tiny bit earlier each power line cycle than the previous firmware. Problem 100% solved!! Not even the slightest bit of flicker. This also solved the rough dimming issues since the lights are staying at there commanded levels throughout the dimming cycle.

He suspects that either my oscillators are not running at exactly 40mhz or possibly that the power to my home isn't exactly 60hz, I am going to take some measurements of that after the season, but for now, the FG dimmers are running absolutely smooth and flicker free.

Another wonderful success in my holiday decorating woes :)
Thanks again David, and all the wonderful folks on this board that have helped over the years!
-James

Good news James.
Did David update the Firmware files on the forum? or just send you new ones?

Lou

So far he's just sent them to me... i'll ask him about posting them. Don't want to do that without permission! -James

I would really appreciate those files as well. Flicker is worse this year than ever before. I had to switch all my sequences to on or off only even with the EMI power conditioners :(

I worked really close with David, my first year, and he helped a lot getting me going. However, I know he can be extremely busy, and sometimes really slow to respond back. I am inclined to believe, that he wouldn't mind at all, you sharing the files, to help others. the original files are freely given, and I know he has worked a LOT with Greg and others, trying to help with the flicker problem (I never had it). I think I would share those files, since every day could be hurting someone's show that much more. And david I'm sure would concur, as well as probably be very appreciative, since he would know that works, at least in your case.

Just my $.02 worth. He put the system out there, for enjoyment, not to withhold files...plus, it's FAR easier to beg forgiveness, sometimes, than get permission...

R

Re: Firegod Flicker is back....RESOLVED!!!!!

Another wonderful success in my holiday decorating woes :)
Thanks again David, and all the wonderful folks on this board that have helped over the years!
-James
Super Congrats!!
I agree David is a great guy! And the wonderful folks mentioned certainly include Roger too!
Greg

Ultimately, I am not even sure which flicker this post started about. Some of us (myself included) experienced flicker that was fairly uniform across the display (i.e. random flicker on all channels at the same time and rate & was also reflected on the **Field Module LEDs themselves**) while others simply experienced random flicker at random times across random channels and was not reflected in the FM LEDs. To cover all my bases I tried most every solution I found 1) checked and rechecked all Cat5, solder joints, and software settings, 2) replaced original 5Vregulator with a 6V model. 3) replaced main transformer with a beefier 3 amp model 4)Added EMI/RF sure suppressors to all SSR's. Still no luck.

Aaron

Fair enough!! Merry Christmas to all... attached are the new files.

***Be aware though, these files are for SOURCING SSR's, not sinking. I have all sourcing SSR's like the original Firegod design.
Hope it helps!
-James

Attachments

• FGDimmer_HC_Source1.hex
    5.6 KB · Views: 16
  • FGDimmer_HC_Source2 (1).hex
    5.6 KB · Views: 8
  • FGDimmer_HC_Source3 (1).hex
    5.6 KB · Views: 9
  • FGDimmer_HC_Source4 (1).hex
    5.6 KB · Views: 7
I tried using the new sourcing files (above), and they worked great to fix flicker! However, when I program the source2 hex file on to my PIC chip, it thinks that its address is actually chip 1. So basically, using those four files, I get two chips addressed as field module 1 and two that are correct at 3 and 4. Has anyone had similar problems or been able to fix this? Thanks for all of your help!

I could really use the new files configured for sinking ssrs. The flicker has always been there on my system. Any chance this could be done?

**UPDATE**
Well I finally may have figured this out after reading many times what everyone else has been saying about using emi filters. I just couldn't bring myself to believing I would need emi filters on every ssr circuit so I didn't give it much thought. So, reluctantly I thought I would give it a try. First I put an emi filter on a single dirkcheap ssr on my bench and the flicker did not improve, actually looked worse for some reason. So, I browsed through some more posts, and I was about to order a 6V regulator and a beefier transformer when I decided I would put another emi filter on the 12vac power transformer to see if that helped. To my surprise, it cleaned it right up. Just to be sure, I removed the emi filter to confirm and sure thing the flicker came back, replaced the emi filter, and sure enough the flicker was gone. So, hopefully this is the only location I will need an emi filter. I am looking forward to a flicker free display this year. Gonna be a long weekend getting setup - I feel behind, but since our HOA has a 30 days before a holiday rule, this is the soonest I can put up lights...

Last edited:
You should put a filter on the 12 VAC transformer only, that should fix it. Also i posted some new code but if the zero cross is getting random spikes then all bets are off.

Good luck!

Sorry i have been absent but we finally got moved into the new house and I got most all the large construction jobs done. I'm actually considering putting up some lights this year!

Yes, great to see you back David!! Since I was the OP on this flicker post, and everyone on this thread has given me so much help. I thought I'd circle back and let you all know that my display is up and running and is 100% flicker free!!! The code adjustment David made for me at the tail end of last year (changed the timing a tiny bit as it seems my power isn't *exactly* 60hz here!! Fixed everything perfectly!! I have 256 Channels of Firegod running and they look just as beautiful as the 128 channels of Renard I have mixed in this year!!

Thanks again to all of you. This forum houses some of the kindest, smartest, and nicest people in this crazy hobby!! Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!! -James

I just fixed steelpanz flicker problem. It was a corroded RJ45 socket on a field module. It caused the entire system to flicker. I assume it caused noise on the power supply or the zero cross. Anyway it is fixed for now.

And yes, I did get my lights put up for the first time since 2009 and I also had a corroded RJ45 jack I had to replace. I guess sitting outside for a month in the damp/cold conditions then being stored in less than perfect conditions can cause that.

Back