Firework Light Simulation

MBrynildsen

Anyone have any ideas for simulating fireworks with lights? I was thinking about making a simulated firework light display for the 4th this year by using my arch lights and some white icicles lights. Just not sure how to pull the effect off. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like a neat idea. I'd think that arches going straight up, or even slightly curved, with some sort of frame at or just above the top of the arch with your icicle lights would work. Maybe a wireframe similar to a snowflake to mount the icicle lights on with a concentration of lights in the center and jets of lights radiating from that to simulate the explosion of the firework? From then sequencing should be simple going straight up the sets of lights.

Check out the news letter on from the top menu bar and look for Tonypsgt's Star Burst

Tonypsgt - Star Burst

Below are directions on how I created what I am calling my “Star Bursts”. The Structure is 17 ½’ tall, while the burst is 6 ½’ in diameter. It utilizes (12) 100 count strings of clear mini lights, (6) 70 count strings of clear LED C6 strings, and (6) 70 count M5 Multi LED strings. I am controlling it using 6 channels total for each burst. I have two of these in my yard, one of each side of my house.

Yea I was looking at his "Star Bust" and it would be a good starter, but I want a more realistic look if I can pull it off.

I think the only way you would be more realistic is to adapt something like the LEDtriks circuitry to an array of LEDs and go from there.

If you're ever near Cincinnati, "Half Price Fireworks" in Lawrenceburg, IN, has a sign for their store that might do what you're asking about. I'm sure somebody there could explain how they work it.

(Personally, I don't bother "simulating" fireworks, but that's a topic for a different forum... ;) )

How about modifying Tonypsgt's design to addisome strobes to give it a sparkle effect? Be a little closer to the real thing...

I think a single shot bright strobe at the top end of the pole (maybe one at the bottom of the arch to start the sequence would be nice too) and then light the outward part and letting the lights fade out instead of move outward from the center and just go off. Several different colors on the branches would allow you to have different "works" since thy tend to be a single color anyway.

Yea I was looking at his "Star Bust" and it would be a good starter, but I want a more realistic look if I can pull it off.

If you used 50 ct. instead of 100 ct mini-lights (and correspondingly shorter LED strings) so the channels are shorter, that could give a smoother chase. Also, making colored streams out from the top, and bending them slightly, would make it look more like fireworks. I think the strobes that were suggested would also add to the effect.

You could also add or mix in the sound of fireworks to the MP3 you are syncing to. That would really make it look/sound like fireworks.

don

If you used 50 ct. instead of 100 ct mini-lights (and correspondingly shorter LED strings) so the channels are shorter, that could give a smoother chase. Also, making colored streams out from the top, and bending them slightly, would make it look more like fireworks. I think the strobes that were suggested would also add to the effect.

You could also add or mix in the sound of fireworks to the MP3 you are syncing to. That would really make it look/sound like fireworks.

don

Don,

Where do you come up with these ideas? You are full of them!! this sounds like a great project.

Where do you come up with these ideas? You are full of them!! this sounds like a great project.

I had already been thinking about how to use some kind of fireworks/starburst/flair effect to try to reflect the true meaning of Christmas for this year's display.

The fireworks theme is neat because it can be applied to other holidays also.

don

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I can see that this was the right place to get the help I was looking for. I used to do the real fireworks, the ones that are not legal here in Florida but could be purchased at Phantom Fireworks through a loop hole in the law. I stop doing that when one of the neighbors call the cops on me. Funny I was the only one to get into trouble when one block either way from us was doing it too. Now since then we just stopped doing anything. Now with my ren 24s and some creating use of my lights and recording studio equipment, I may be able to get back into the spirit. I'm planning to also have an animated U.S. flag of lights and maybe some cutouts, not sure what at this point.

Aren't neighbors Great! That's excellent. Now you can get the Largest Strobes and Gigantic Subwoofers to shake them out of their house. Hopefully they will call the cops and they can be embarassed when you don't have fireworks.

Now with my ren 24s and some creating use of my lights and recording studio equipment, I may be able to get back into the spirit. I'm planning to also have an animated U.S. flag of lights and maybe some cutouts, not sure what at this point.

That sounds very cool. Please upload a video of it after you have it set up!

don

LOL! But I'm not going to fall off my roof doing fireworks, either. :)

Several years ago, I lashed together a bunch of Snap-n-Glo frames to build a mini-light US flag. It's about 3'x5', I received a lot of nice comments on it. After a couple cross-country moves, a number of the light strings are dead. I haven't decided whether to reconstitute that flag, or pull off the lights and sell the Snap-n-Glos to the highest bidder here at DIYC.

Yup. Flash-bang is huge fun, but blinky-flashy lasts a lot longer. Just wish my budget for both was bigger...

Im the complete opposite. I think fireworks is more fun. I started to get into the manufacturing and that is just way fun. I also do high power rocketry and between the both I have enough $$$$ tied up!

Ben

check out my site http://www.occhristmas.com - Chistmas in the O.C. to get an idea of how i created the effect of a firework - i borrowed the idea...so feel free to build upon my "palm tree firework" and let me know how it goes, i would love to see pictures of your completed project.

but, i was obsessed over this last year, I LOVE FIREWORKS, real ones, and i stumbled across LED fireworks from china - man they are SOOOOOOOOOO cool...look very much like a real firework - however, after discussions and multiple quotes I decided that the shipping wasnt worth it, plus you wouldn't have complete control of how/when the firework went off except to send the signal for it to turn on...after researching, i found christmaswonders who uses pvc to make palm trees...this got me to thinking, hey this might work out for what i am wanting to do - so, i modified the design...word to the wise, wind, icycle lights, mini lights, and 1/2" pvc poles sticking up into the sky call for some serious securing thoughts...the firework survived the excessively windy christmas season we had in dallas this year. So, in all, the firework took up 16 channels (used 6 channels for the pole, and 10 more channels for the various effects and strobes) and i am very pleased with how it turned out. it was every one's favorite element - probably also helped us win the 64 channel or less D-Light the world contest 2008...it had to be the firework!! anyway, feel free to visit my site and watch the videos...looking forward to adding more fireworks of various heights to the 2009 show - check out the site at http://www.occhristmas.com

Back