Flat vs. Round Extension Cable. Sale Performance?

ThomasLED

Flat vs. Round Extension Cable. Same Performance?

EDIT: Typo, intended for the title to say "Flat vs. Round Extension Cable. Same Performance? "

I need to build more 12V WS2811 LED extension cables. Extension lengths are up to 30 feet. Currently using flat 3-cond with no issues.

But if I switch to 18AWG round RGB cable, such as what is sold at HolidayCoro, will the LED performance by the same? How about if I repurpose Home Depot 18/3 power tool extension cords (green color is nice) for use as LED extensions? That is to say, will these round cables invite cross-talk induced LED flicker?

I was hoping to find a Round vs. Flat RGB cable shootout on YouTube. But struck out. No doubt some of you have performed your own evaluations; What's your experience?

- Thomas

Last edited:
Re: Flat vs. Round Extension Cable. Same Performance?

I use round 3 wire Max Brite LED cable from Amazon, have for years with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Flat vs. Round Extension Cable. Same Performance?

Stranded Cat5 or Cat6 will perform much better than standard cable...........

The shape of the cable really isn't the factor that determines its performance. It's the gauge that impacts it's ability to carry power, and it's the impedance that affects its ability to transmit data. So without knowing those parameters, and what you're trying to achieve, an answer can't really be given. Twisted pair cable is better for data, but is usually found in the form of small gauge wire which isn't great for power. Larger gauge wire which is usually good for power, isn't typically twisted, or rated for data transmission. So for extensions, it's usually a trial and error exercise finding the balance between the two.

Back