Fluorescent lights

jcross

I just got my new tune to sign and hooked it up to an ssrez. It has 2 fluorescent tubes with a ballast. When I plugged it in last night the ssrez channel was hot and the the light came on right away. Tonight when the show started the light did not come on until I unplugged it and then plugged it back in. It seems that the ssrez cannot make it start when it goes from a 0-100% output change.

Should I be using a relay to activate this device or does anyone have other suggestions?

For now I have just put a timer on the line but I would really like it to come on and off exactly when the show starts and ends.

Jason C

Try plugging in a C7 or larger style bulb into that same outlet and see if it doesn't work correctly. The ballast may not show much of an initial load, so the TRIAC doesn't turn on like it should.

Thanks Ernie!

I quickly threw on an electrical timer last night onto the power cable going to the roof which controls the SSREZ and the sign once I tied the sign into the power cord directly, bypassing the SSREZ. The interesting thing is that the sign did not come on again tonight but the SSREZ did...

It was -30c here today so I'm wondering if the ballasts and bulbs are just too cold to turn on when power is applied.
Half an hour after the show started I unplugged and replugged the cord and the sign illuminated properly.

I'm thinking perhaps I should put some heat tape (for water pipes) into the case to try to keep it warm during the off hours???
Does that sound like it could be a problem (I don't know much about fluorescent light fixtures).

I will likely pick up a bunch of white led rope light to put in the sign for next year. It is far too cold to be on the roof now.

Just have to make it until January.

Thanks all!

Jason C

Back