Formal schedule or play it by ear?

Should we have a formal schedule or a lax play it by ear approach?

• I want to have speakers at specific times!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • To heck with a schedule, lets just have fun.

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Macrosill

Administrator
Should we have a formal schedule with time slots and stick to it or should we just play it by ear and see how things go as the day progresses?

2 years ago, IIRC, things were informal and I had fun. Last year we tried to schedule ti=hings but it did not work out too well. At one point I looked around and noticed Jeff speaking about extension cord modifications. I missed it. We may have seen more by having a schedule but maybe not so much fun just hanging around and talking with friends.

Which way should we go?

If I had been scheduled to do that mod... you probably wouldn't seen it at all... I'm not a very confident speaker in those situations so I avoid them like bubonic plague. The winder will be simple to pull off, it will be set up, turned on and looked at for what it is, Robin's and Papa LF's genius in the flesh.

...and then I wanna go talk to people like before... I love it that way....

Then if something pops up, we'll make sure o stop and let everyone know (that Wayne is just about to etch three breakout boards for Jeff's DIO cards...) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jeff

I think we should have a very loose schedule. Maybe something like Saturday morning will be about controllers. That could mean anything, what they are, how they work, how to build one.... Saturday after noon could be about display stuff, mini tree.....

Than Sunday is swap time and how-to's, etching a board, making strobes....

I think we need at least that so people that can make only one day will come on the day that is best for them. Maybe we can even plan around some people.

My thoughts anyway....

My personal opinion is we should just see who shows up which day and then see what those people want to discuss. You know how these things go, some will not show up due to last minute circumstances. I would hate to schedule something for Sunday only to have the person not show up and then everyone who was there on Saturday loose out on that information. I see no reason why topics could not be discussed both days for different people. For those who are only able to attend a single day they should have the opportunity to do a sell/swap, learn about controllers and everything else.

I think I like it the informal way we've done it the past 2 years, although we can use the schedule that Lou made as a base guideline. You guys are right though. Not everyone is going to be there for the entire mini and for example when Dan showed up the last two years, everything basically stopped so we could talk with him.

Maybe we could also document the mini a little bit with more than just pictures. I could get out the magic video camera and I could even have some notepads and pens for everyone to write down the info they need...then we could come back to DIYC and share some of our notes/videos.

What do you guys think?
Thanks
Greg

P.S. Update coming very soon, hopefully tomorrow

I'm with the general poll, think you should keep it informal. Great point from macrosilland Ibro, don't know who's showing up what day and should try and keep most people happy.

I think we should at least have some idea on what topics that we are going to be discussing. No need to have exact times that we stop what we are doing, and start the next discussion. There is so much information available that we should at least know who would like to give a talk or demo.

I think we should at least have some idea on what topics that we are going to be discussing. No need to have exact times that we stop what we are doing, and start the next discussion. There is so much information available that we should at least know who would like to give a talk or demo.

That was my first thought about having it general enough, but at least know what will be when. It still will be open to what ever anybody wants to add to the discussion.

Lets say Jeff is talking about a 595 then Brian decides to show he used his old 595 to power LED strobes. Well thats okay, we all still learn something and the discussion can always return to controllers with Wayne showing his home etched boards...

That is how I was thinking it would be "scheduled" yet still informal.

Back