Forum signatures for people that are no longer supporting members

A simple solution to this problem would be a limit of the characters in every signature. But I think you'd better directly contact an administrator or moderator on this matter.

What's the point of a place to post called "Site/Forum suggestions" if the answers to this are to contact them directly?

I'm not sure who all are the forum moderators, are, but it seems to me that they have not commented at all on this so maybe no one monitors it which makes the whole point of an area for suggestions pointless.

Use tapatalk, problem solved.

Tapatalk is good for a quick read and post but having to read anything in length or respond in length using tapatalk on my phone is horrible. The other issue is there are people with useful information in their signatures like some of the vendors but people that use tapatalk never see them and miss out. It's the source of a lot of people asking how to get to a vendor's website or information because they can't see the signature.

You can turn off the signatures in a few steps

1. Click settings at the top right of the screen
2. Click on "General Settings" (located on the left.
3. Scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and uncheck "Show Signatures"
4. Scroll again and click save.

Problem solved.

signaturesetting.JPG

Gil it was a new thing that went into effect a while back if you aren't a supporting member your signature is limited so people who had long signatures with links and stuff got turned into a bunch of pooo in the signature
Ok I got sucked into reading this....lol. I have to say I've never seen one of these signature being talked about.

What's the point of a place to post called "Site/Forum suggestions" if the answers to this are to contact them directly?

I'm not sure who all are the forum moderators, are, but it seems to me that they have not commented at all on this so maybe no one monitors it which makes the whole point of an area for suggestions pointless.

Because it is a forum for members to submit Site/Forum Suggestions. It is not called Public DIYC Staff Comments Forum. Some topics get discussed in private between the staff and some don't. Just because there is not a comment in ths forum does not mean it has not been discussed between at least some of the staff.

Anytime anyone wants a direct response from the staff send us a PM. I guarantee any PM I get is addressed in a timely manner.

Gil it was a new thing that went into effect a while back if you aren't a supporting member your signature is limited so people who had long signatures with links and stuff got turned into a bunch of pooo in the signature

That may have been an issue in the past but the issue that is being discussed today is most, if not all, of the member signatures in question are the result of a Supporting Member not renewing their membership and the software deactivating the code in the signature. So if you see one like that it is most likely due to a Supporting Membership expiration.

I try not to make a habit of editing accounts. It would be nice if the member took the responsibility to edit their signature just as they did when they upgraded their account and were given the ability to have a complex signature. Or just renew there menbership.

I'm not sure who all are the forum moderators
At the top of the page, hit "Quick Links" then hit "View Site Leaders". Will take you to http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showgroups.php

There are two groups of Moderators: Moderators who help with specific forums and Super Moderators who can help across the entire site. They work to help the main site Administrator Macrosill .

There is a private moderators forum where we all work behind the scenes to address many issues on a daily basis. The site works smoothly and most of the spam and issues are addressed behind the scenes. This is the largest Holiday light forum out there, there is a massive volume of activity daily and all the moderators try our best to address what we can as soon as we can. We don't always get a chance to thank members for their help and support and for reporting issues to us.

At the bottom of every post there is a "Report Post" link that sends the issue directly to the moderators.
At the bottom of every page there is also the "Contact Us" link. That sends a message directly to Macrosill.

For folks that don't know, here is a discussion about the Benefits of being a Supporting Member. Supporting members remain critical to the success of this site. Their membership fees pay the costs to run this site.

Last edited:
At the top of the page, hit "Quick Links" then hit "View Site Leaders". Will take you to http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showgroups.php

There are two groups of Moderators: Moderators who help with specific forums and Super Moderators who can help across the entire site. They work to help the main site Administrator Macrosill .

There is a private moderators forum where we all work behind the scenes to address many issues on a daily basis. The site works smoothly and most of the spam and issues are addressed behind the scenes. This is the largest Holiday light forum out there, there is a massive volume of activity daily and all the moderators try our best to address what we can as soon as we can. We don't always get a chance to thank members for their help and support and for reporting issues to us.

At the bottom of every post there is a "Report Post" link that sends the issue directly to the moderators.
At the bottom of every page there is also the "Contact Us" link. That sends a message directly to Macrosill.

For folks that don't know, here is a discussion about the Benefits of being a Supporting Member. Supporting members remain critical to the success of this site. Their membership fees pay the costs to run this site.

First thanks for the tip on finding the moderators.

Secondly I don't disagree with any of this I just think that if a long/coded signature is only going to be part of members that continue to support the site monatarily then there should be an effort on the forum moderators/owners part to enforce that. I'm not saying edit their signature as soon as they expire but maybe let them know so that they either renew or they change their signature. If they don't respond in X days/weeks then delete their signature but let them know why.

Also how do you even know if your expired are you warned before you expire or after. Is there any indication to to the user that they have expired?

Everyone that's providing ways to avoid it was not the point of the thread. I know all of the ways I've been in IT for a very long time. I also understand the need for funding because nothing is free and to run a forum with the amount of traffic this one gets is both very expensive and very time consuming.

First thanks for the tip on finding the moderators.

Secondly I don't disagree with any of this I just think that if a long/coded signature is only going to be part of members that continue to support the site monatarily then there should be an effort on the forum moderators/owners part to enforce that. I'm not saying edit their signature as soon as they expire but maybe let them know so that they either renew or they change their signature. If they don't respond in X days/weeks then delete their signature but let them know why.

Also how do you even know if your expired are you warned before you expire or after. Is there any indication to to the user that they have expired?

Everyone that's providing ways to avoid it was not the point of the thread. I know all of the ways I've been in IT for a very long time. I also understand the need for funding because nothing is free and to run a forum with the amount of traffic this one gets is both very expensive and very time consuming.

You should receive an email indicating your membership is about to expire. If you do not you can always check the title under your username in any post you make. Or one could check their profile or account settings, etc etc etc.

Back