FPP, Master/Slave and Virtual Matrix

MikelMD

Hi All,

This year, actually, last week, I discovered Virtual Matrix and I am using my PC Monitor running off of a Raspberry Pi, FPP and some MP4 videos I created (Tune In sign) and looks great. My show is programmed in Vixen and exporting my songs to another FPP (so two FPPs in my show, running independent) and creating a schedule. I would like to move the FPP to a Master/slave and incorporate videos. However, when I go to Vixen, to add a controller, I am not certain which to select for the Virtual Matrix.

TIA

I have seen more than 1 video use DDP to set up a Virtual Matrix. But, yes, you need to tell your software how many channels it will use.

I am thinking hard about switching my 5h x 4w P5 matrix over to a 55" TV that would be defined as a Virtual Matrix -- currently my P5 matrix is defined with 122k channels and I'm wondering how much bigger I can make that channel count before things break.

I have seen more than 1 video use DDP to set up a Virtual Matrix. But, yes, you need to tell your software how many channels it will use.

I am thinking hard about switching my 5h x 4w P5 matrix over to a 55" TV that would be defined as a Virtual Matrix -- currently my P5 matrix is defined with 122k channels and I'm wondering how much bigger I can make that channel count before things break.

When you get to something like this, it really needs to be more of a video based workflow. Are you really running effects like bars, spirals and stuff like that on it, or is is really showing video content like movie segments or messaging and such. We have been discussing alternate work flows to better deal with in essence video displays. In most reality they truly are a different concept than sequencing traditional props.

When you get to something like this, it really needs to be more of a video based workflow. Are you really running effects like bars, spirals and stuff like that on it, or is is really showing video content like movie segments or messaging and such. We have been discussing alternate work flows to better deal with in essence video displays. In most reality they truly are a different concept than sequencing traditional props.

Currently I use my big matrix mostly for showing videos, video clips, and messages, just like you mentioned. There are a few sequences where I have my matrix do actual effects, but it's more of a "filler" thing. I'm actually more than a little surprised that some others haven't already tested out the capabilities of using the upgrade FPP (v4.x+) when the video player was switched over to VLC vs the OMXplayer we had before. I'm not going to do anything at this point in the season, but once my display is taken down in January, I fully plan on seeing how video will look on a 55" TV vs the P5 matrix I'm using now. I understand there are many people out there running video to a projector but I can't do that with my setup - at least, not easily given my layout.

You've got me curious what the dev thoughts and plans are for using video in sequences.

Back