FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

scooter_seh

As an open source software developer, I am a proponent of the open source movement. Because of this, I wanted to develop an open source pixel controller. The FPP PB16 Pixel Controller is the design I came up with. My intent is for the controller to be DIY build it yourself style and it should be easy to hand solder for most people. If you would like to build the controller, you have to get a PCB made (I recommend https://jlcpcb.com/) using the 'gerber.zip' file. You then have to order all the parts (minus the PCB) from digikey and Amazon. A full list of bill of materials (PB16_Bom.ods), is included in the github. I made 3D printable CG1500 mounts and included a link below. I have a couple blank PCB's if anyone is interest. If anyone has any feature request and/or design improvements, please let me know.

I have uploaded all the design files to github and created a basic manual and assembly guide.

Features:
Powered by FPP Falcon Player
PocketBeagle based
16 3-Wire pixel ports
700 pixel per output at 40 FPS or 1400 at 20 FPS
2 DMX serial outputs
USB port for ethernet, WIFI, or audio
OLED display
Adafruit real time clock header connector
2 pin GPIO header for push button or relay support
5v - 24v Vin support
Expansion header for additional 16 pixel outputs

Github: https://github.com/computergeek1507/PB_16

CG1500 Mounts: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3829508

PB_16_rev_C.jpg

Last edited:
I have an F16v3, no plans to get rid of it but I qiykd like to build one of yours and test it. PM me with a way to pay for a board

At this point, I don't plan on selling complete controller. (might change my mind based on interest) I was thinking just selling raw PCB for now. I didn't know the rules on sales and this forum, so maybe a group buy if I am allowed.

I am also interested. Group Buy? Testing and Research?

Scott, this looks good. I ordered 5 boards and a BOM.

This will be my first pixel controller; been doing the Pixlenet/SSC/uSC/Zeus/F16 thing for a while now. Should be a fun ride.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Don

Scott,

Let me first say I am a huge fan of open source and DIY builds. It is nice to see something like this gracing the pages of the forum again.

I tried checking out the BOM costs, but I get a 403 error from Digikey, what is the cost of the BOM?

Tony

Scott,

Let me first say I am a huge fan of open source and DIY builds. It is nice to see something like this gracing the pages of the forum again.

I tried checking out the BOM costs, but I get a 403 error from Digikey, what is the cost of the BOM?

Tony

When I click i I get a total for the BOM of $129.34

To save 5 bucks you can remove the adafruit real time clock board if you plan on not using it. Some of the headers can also be omitted if you don't need them. I also made two other BOM variants, in an attempt for a "cheaper" version. The "Minimal" BOM only has the the parts required for driving the 16 pixel outputs. I removed the serial hardware, IC sockets, and all the non-essential connectors. Last time I looked that BOM was about $100. The last BOM I call the "Power Inject" BOM. This BOM is intended for people who want to use the controller to output Pixel Data only and use fuse terminals / power injection for powering the pixels. I removed all the fuse terminals and switched the pixel outputs to a cheaper 2-Pin terminal for only data and GND. It does still include serial support and some of the other headers. This BOM I think was around $80 last time I looked. I made a spreadsheet(.ods file) in the Github with all three BOM variations and the digikey part numbers. The three sheets across the bottom are the three variations. I have never built these two BOM's so there are no assembly instructions. The Link is below.

https://github.com/computergeek1507/PB_16/blob/master/PB16_Bom.ods?raw=true

Thanks,

Last edited:
What kind of distance are you getting out to first pixel with the 150 ohm resistors? And would it be safe to lower that to increase distance? Working on a bom and was wondering what to purchase.
Looks like a great project. Thanks for sharing it with the group.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I have only tested it up to 20 feet and it worked fine. The resistors are intended to "protect" and filter the output data. If you use smaller resistors, you are just at more risk at blowing the SN74HCT245N driver chips if you short 12V to it. I have use 33 ohms resistors in the past with no issues, but I never go more than 20-30 feet.

What kind of distance are you getting out to first pixel with the 150 ohm resistors? And would it be safe to lower that to increase distance? Working on a bom and was wondering what to purchase.
Looks like a great project. Thanks for sharing it with the group.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Kudos Scott.
The boards came today and I put one together, they are very easy to assemble and well laid out. Easy to configure.

Now to connect some strings and see how the whole FPP master / slave setup is going to work for me.

Thanks again for all of your hard work and your willingness to share.

Don
PB16-1.jpg

Back