Get 2 Beaglebone Black Rev C for $41.00 ($20.50 each) or Less

AJR214

While at the Mega Mini today, we were discussing P5 panels and decided to look up the cost of a BeagleBone Rev C to control them with an Octocoupler. We came across a listing on eBay that has (2) Beaglebone Rev C for $41.00 (Item #173778496189). Someone ordered it right then, I waited till a few hours later. The price on the auction went up to $55.00. I sent them a "Best Offer" of $41.00 and stated in the Notes I had a friend that bought the auction at that price today. About 20 minutes later, the offer was approved. So we both got 2 for $41.00. The first person even had a $5 off eBay coupon be listed on checkout so he got 2 for $36.00 - I think the $5 is a limited eBay targeted promo. It didn't work for me, but I found the code FUNFIVE that may work. Free shipping and ships from Texas, so not a "wait 3-week China deal". Great deal for the full BeagleBone Rev C. Here are the specs...

Processor: AM335x 1GHz ARM® Cortex-A8

• 512MB DDR3 RAM
• 4GB 8-bit eMMC on-board flash storage
• 3D graphics accelerator
• NEON floating-point accelerator
• 2x PRU 32-bit micro-controllers

Software Compatibility

• Debian
• Android
• Ubuntu
• Cloud9 IDE on Node.js w/ BoneScript library
• plus much more

Connectivity

• USB client for power & communications
• USB host
• Ethernet
• HDMI
• 2x 46 pin headers

If anyone is looking to do panels, or run a show or other project with a BeagleBone, here's a great deal on them!

BeagleBone.png

I tried the “best offer” at $41 and was declined. I resubmitted at $46 and was accepted. This is a great deal. Just hoping these are the rev.C model.
Thanks for the post!

Looking at his feedback, he had the 2 for $41 price for awhile. Not sure why he just raised it yesterday. Glad you got it at $46. Anyway, if it’s not Rev C, you can return it per ebay rules that you didn’t get what was advertised. Just take a screenshot if you’re concerned.

I’m curious if it comes with a power supply. This is my first BB, but I know unless you by a RPi kit, the RPi needs a 5V power supply (along with heat sinks and stuff that really should come with it). Can the BB operate just with usb power, or in a P5/P10 sign canit run off the 5V ps you use with the panels?

I just received a BBB from an Ebay seller last week for $30 delivered. It is a Rev C and did Not come with a PS. That would be my expectation for these units as well.

And I thought I had a good deal @ $30

Looking at his feedback, he had the 2 for $41 price for awhile. Not sure why he just raised it yesterday. Glad you got it at $46. Anyway, if it’s not Rev C, you can return it per ebay rules that you didn’t get what was advertised. Just take a screenshot if you’re concerned.

I’m curious if it comes with a power supply. This is my first BB, but I know unless you by a RPi kit, the RPi needs a 5V power supply (along with heat sinks and stuff that really should come with it). Can the BB operate just with usb power, or in a P5/P10 sign canit run off the 5V ps you use with the panels?

Dang... At $30 each, that's awesome price...

For power, most of the capes that you would stick on it would provide the power connector. Some of the Octo's don't, but some do. If using an Octo, the same 5v power supply you use for the panels can power the BBB via the connector on the Octo. For the various ws281x string capes, they provide a 5v/12v selector so you can power the BBB from the cape as well. Thus, you don't need the power supply.

That said, you can power them via the mini-USB as well. Note: this is a MINI USB, not the MICRO USB. It's a different connector than the Pi. Thus, if you plan on powering via USB, you will either need a different cord or an adapter. I personally use a combination of:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002O1S8IE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNKX14C/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to power my test BBB's at my desk via POE. For my BBB's in the show, they are powered through the capes.

Just received my 2 for $42, wrapped in newspaper, but look new and test good. Appears to be a really great buy.

He’s now up to 2 for $55. Still a good deal if new. My $30 BBB arrived Monday, new-in-box as promised, with the mini-USB cable in the box.

Just received my 2 for $42, wrapped in newspaper, but look new and test good. Appears to be a really great buy.

I received mine today as well... same wrapping as you. I presume it's because 2 of the original BBB boxes won't fit in a small Priority Mail box. Everything seems in order. I don't have the ability to test them yet. I have the Octo but I don't have an SD card loaded with the player or software yet.

He’s now up to 2 for $55. Still a good deal if new. My $30 BBB arrived Monday, new-in-box as promised, with the mini-USB cable in the box.

He went up to $55 the day I posted about this, but in my OP I stated to send him a Best Offer of $41. Critic2 said they countered with $46, so $23.00/each. I know the USB cables are a dime a dozen, and MicroSD cards are so cheap now - don't need a large one, but even a 64GB is only around $11 and I've picked up 128GB U3 cards for $20. From what I've read, the P5/P10 software image is small, and if you run a full show is when you'll need more than a 4GB card.

I received mine today as well... same wrapping as you. I presume it's because 2 of the original BBB boxes won't fit in a small Priority Mail box. Everything seems in order. I don't have the ability to test them yet. I have the Octo but I don't have an SD card loaded with the player or software yet.

More likely freight damage package - maybe water damage package. Likely sealed packing removed BeagleBone prior to shipment. No sign of water or other damage to BeagleBone. This guy looking for a quick sale of a case lots, and doesn’t know the vallue. Guessing, but whatever it was I like my purchase.

Yeah, it was $41.99 when I first saw, but jumped to $55 by time I got of phone to buy. Sent offer-he accepted. Appears he is still accepting offers, but don’t know price point.

Talked to that guy months ago. Said the ones he had were "slightly used" for some projects. Guess that didn't sell so it turned into new without packaging.

Last edited:
Talked to that guy months ago. Said the ones he had were "slightly used" for some projects. Guess that didn't sell so it turned into new without packaging.

Does a BB have an "odometer" of any type? Something in it's memory that shows "time powered on"? Some sort of software hack that can read anything like that? It's a great deal new or used, and I will be testing mine thoroughly. But if he's listing them as NEW on eBay and not putting in the description anything in the description that they were used in any way, then that is fraudulently selling a new item or even a "New (Other)" item. Apparently a normal "new in box" comes with the USB cable, these do not. Again, I got it for 1/3 the price of most new units listed out there. I'm a deal finder and I can make anything work as long as it wasn't already damaged or DOA. I don't mind the fact that they might have been used, but I'm one for full disclosure.

Got my 2 yesterday also. Both up and running with no issues on latest FPP. Now to catch up to Ken@wiredwatts to get an octoscroller and a couple more P10's...may try a couple P5's this time just for giggles. :)

Does a BB have an "odometer" of any type? Something in it's memory that shows "time powered on"? Some sort of software hack that can read anything like that?

No. Software like FPP has an “uptime” counter that is reset with every power cycle, but thats it. In most cases, if the processor doesn’t blow shortly after it’s powered on, it will likely won’t fail for a very long time.

Back