Glow with *OUR* Show and MSP430G2553 discussion

rjchu

Ok, in the interest of putting a halt to budude's MSP430 thread (sorry budude) I've started this thread in which we can discuss the possibility of implementing a "Glow with the Show"-type of functionality for home/non-commercial use.

Thanks,

-joni-

So mspdebug sounds interesting. If I'm understanding things correctly, it seems as though I could attach to the header pins on one of these hats and fire up mspdebug with "dis main" and iterate until I've captured all of the code in the address space starting at main. The other thing I was thinking was simply doing a dis 0 or dis 0x0 thinking that would start at the top of the addressable memory space and let me iterate through to the end.

Thoughts?

-joni-

Check out this thread.

FET-Pro430-Lite might be the best option for you (remove MSP chip from LP and connect Vcc, TEST, RST, and GND to J4 on your GwtS.)

FET-Pro430-Lite.jpg

Last edited:
So is the goal to capture/interact with the Disney ears? Or is it to create your own "headsets", but using the MSP vs PIC offerings?
(trying to understand the context)

IMHO the first would be making a transmitter that can communicate with the ears. Once that working the code is anywhere close should be widely distributed to it can never be pulled back. That way anyone can make their own even if Disney complains. Only then should someone try making ears.

My goal, can't speak for others, is to capture and be able to interact with the Disney ears. I'm about 20-30 minutes from Disneyland and would like to be able to have folks come with their own ear hats that they've purchased at Disneyland and be able to glow with MY show! ;) I'm not too interested in building hats at this point though I have thought about it in the context of adding ears/lights to out stroller (think ground effects using some extra RGB Super Strips. But that's WAY secondary to being able to control hats sitting in front of my house.

Thanks,

-joni-

So is the goal to capture/interact with the Disney ears? Or is it to create your own "headsets", but using the MSP vs PIC offerings?
(trying to understand the context)

My idea exactly. I'm trying to come up with a tool to capture the show. Nice thing is that you don't have to wait for World of color or Fantasmic to capture. Just got to Tea Party in CA.

Tonight I took apart one of the hats and soldered wires to the header that appears to be used for programming. The good news is that the hat still works, when I connect these four wires from the hat to VCC, GND, TEST and RST I could do a reset from within FETPro430Lite and have the ears respond as if they'd just powered up again. The bad news is that FET reports in the Report window that JTAG communication initialization failed and, therefore I assume, Verification of the Security Fuse failed. I believe my solder points are good and that I'm hooking this up correctly to the MS430 LaunchPad but if there's anything I appear to be doing wrong, by all means, please point it out to me! ;)

Below is a picture of the leads I soldered onto the pads, I soldered power and ground to the 3v terminal and ground respectively instead of trying to crowd four wires into the small area that the pad has to offer.

Time for some sleep, I'll take another crack at this tomorrow if anyone has replied.

Thanks,

-joni-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Green is TEST and blue RST?
Is your LP listed in COM ports? Sounds like it's not, see the pic.
Also, remove batteries from your ears... well, GwtS ears. LP's Vcc is 3.6V, GwtS Vcc is 3V, so that could be a factor.

fet.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the LaunchPad is listed in COM ports and is configured correctly and I've also tried with and without batteries in the ears. I'm wondering if the surrounding circuitry in the ears is interfering with LP's ability to communicate with the microcontroller? When I plug the IC that came with the LP into the DIP socket, as an example, it's easily recognized, I can verify the security fuse, read code pages, etc. When I try plugging the four wires from the ears into the DIP socket pins, the software responds very differently.

Thanks,

-joni-

Green is TEST and blue RST?
Is your LP listed in COM ports? Sounds like it's not, see the pic.
Also, remove batteries from your ears... well, GwtS ears. LP's Vcc is 3.6V, GwtS Vcc is 3V, so that could be a factor.

View attachment 17756

I don't have a set of the ears or a MSP430 to play with, but recall seeing this come across hackaday last year sometime. Here are some relevant links which may help.
HaD link - http://hackaday.com/2012/07/10/tearing-down-disneys-glow-with-the-show-props/
Teardown and schematic - http://stuffandymakes.com/2012/07/08/disney-glow-with-the-show-ears-teardown/

Maybe I overlooked it somewhere and am stating the obvious, but I'd attack this from the IR side. Surely someone has reversed the protocol and figured a way to emulate it? I'd point an IRToy at it and see what I could get - http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/USB_Infrared_Toy.

Edit: I know where else I saw this as well, here! lol
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20818-Ear-to-Ear-Networking
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20918-Infrared-Communication-for-Light-Shows

Edit2: More relevant information on IR protocol hacking - http://irq5.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/infrared-remote-control-protocols-part-1/

Last edited:
Other than protocol there is one fundamental difference. Lightman uses a carrier based system and Disney uses a IrDa based one.

Need a IrDA capture device that's small and controllable that can be taken to the park.

Interesting. I would think IrDa would be much more susceptible to interference (based on the 2 minutes of google assisted research. :biggrin:).
That being said I would think that the transmitter design could be common between the two solutions. Certainly some options for playing around.

For data logging, an IrDa to Bluetooth adapter, would make darn near any Smartphone the perfect data logger. The catch is going to be how to sync the logging to the "captured video" in order to associate the commands with their function.

Other than protocol there is one fundamental difference. Lightman uses a carrier based system and Disney uses a IrDa based one.

Need a IrDA capture device that's small and controllable that can be taken to the park.

Last edited:
...Need a IrDA capture device that's small and controllable that can be taken to the park.
Attach a diode to LaunchPad, add 2 AA batteries, it's small, portable.

And if someone is really serious about this, I can send them fully assembled IR logger board which will include large EEPROM to store captured data. I will be at Disney Orlando in April (I believe they do have WoC show there) and I will capture those myself if no one else does it before.

From what I understand, each hat has some sort of random ID, so that they can control small groups of hats. Other than that, this thing should be pretty straight forward.

Darn just got back from Disneyland/California adventure. We bought one of these hats for my son. Worked in California adventure and there was some effects during the disney firework show as well. Pretty cool, I thought of lightmans IR reindeer when I saw it.

BTW the world of color show is pretty cool, using water/spray as the projection canvas. I enjoyed it

Tory

I'm seeing Disney adding it all over the Park so it seems they are going all out.

OASN, One thing they need is more than one style of hat. I'm looking at transferring the ears to a Mickey ball cap. One thing for sure the WoC cast are going to ask where I got them from if I do it. To make it work plus make it less top heavy I was going to move the batteries to a holder on the back of the cap much like the LED headlamps you can where.

I have a Mickey baseball cap that I got at DisneyWorld years ago. It had a battery pack, since there were LEDs that "flashed" on the front of the hat in the shape of Mickey.

I don't get down for Orlando very often these days, so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to modify my cap, but you never know!

I'd be interested in this. The link you included is for a GPS logger (yours, which is very cool by the way). Would an IR logger just be an adaptation of this I assume?

Also, I believe there are places where these hats work/interact with things in Orlando, I could not find a reference to WoC actually showing at the Orlando parks. I only did a quick Google search/scan though.

Thanks,

-joni-

Attach a diode to LaunchPad, add 2 AA batteries, it's small, portable.

And if someone is really serious about this, I can send them fully assembled IR logger board which will include large EEPROM to store captured data. I will be at Disney Orlando in April (I believe they do have WoC show there) and I will capture those myself if no one else does it before.

From what I understand, each hat has some sort of random ID, so that they can control small groups of hats. Other than that, this thing should be pretty straight forward.

Back