GoDaddy web page closing - need help

Capt'n Jack

Supporting Member
I just found out that what I have as a web page will go away June 1st.
I purchased, for 10 years, a domain name from GoDaddy.com for about $60.00 total, good thru 2021.
Instant Page was offered free so that's what I used as my web page for info for my Christmas lights.
Instant Page is going away and the cheapest alternative is $180.00 for 5 yrs. for Website Builder.

My question is, what, if anything, can I do with the domain that won't cost more money to keep up?
Is there a place out there that's free, or very cheep, so I can move the domain and how can that be done?
Would a better option be to try to sell the domain name?

I'm not very knowledgeable in this area so do explain very s-l-o-w-l-y.

Thanks in advance,
the Capt'n

There are plenty of low cost web hosts around. The one I use for da-share is $2 a month. There may be cheaper ones.

Not sure if you can use your own domain name with the Google ones?

EDIT:
Yes, you can use Google Sites with your own domain name:
https://support.google.com/sites/answer/99448?hl=en

Not sure how easy it will be to replicate your existing site though.

Last edited:
There are plenty of low cost web hosts around. The one I use for da-share is $2 a month. There may be cheaper ones.

Not sure if you can use your own domain name with the Google ones?

EDIT:
Yes, you can use Google Sites with your own domain name:
https://support.google.com/sites/answer/99448?hl=en

Not sure how easy it will be to replicate your existing site though.

If you still have control of the domain name at godaddy, then you should be able to forward it to any url, including a google site url. Consequently, when people type your domain name, they'll be forward to your google site.

What are they saying is going away? Just the free website builder or you web site? If you have a godaddy website already you could just install WordPress or Joomla to it. I wouldn't waste my money on a website builder, Wordpress or Joomla could take care of that for you.

Ha! Just realized this is an old thread...oops.

Last edited:
I built and maintain a website through Wix.com for my local bass fishing club. Super easy to use. We've been with them for 5 years and initially used godaddy domain without issue. Their hosting service is $5/mo.

http://www.wix.com/domain/names

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But what is the alternative for inexpensive simple hosting?

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...

I moved my site to Freehosting.com. Seems to be Ok, but I lost the page I had worked hard to make during the transfer because I didn't know how to save it. As luck would have it, there were so many complaints about losing Instant Page that GoDaddy decided not to do away with it and I have not tried to put it back. This is the only problem I've had with GoDaddy.

edit: PS I was only using the free Instant Page and do not have an elaborate website.

Last edited:
Based on their commercials alone I would never ever do business with godaddy.

One of my business partners in a venture insisted we use GD for the company's site. There was some rough going in the first few months (clearly, they had us on one of the 5000-plus-sites servers, but my bitching apparently got us moved to a 500-plus-site server) and -- knock on Formica -- there haven't been any problems since.

Also, though they did neglect to notice the "automatic annual renewal" flag set on the domain and since we have a half-dozen domains that were renewing automatically, I didn't notice that that particular one (the main one) didn't renew and the site went dark for about three hours. But that wasn't hosting, that was domain admin.

YMMV.

\dmc

When my cheap web site hosting ran out at GoDaddy I left my domain registered with them but forwarded it to my Facebook page. Im 90% sure my facebook page had 90% more traffic than my website anyway.

So.. I just realized that that both of my links below in my signature take you to the exact same place. LOL, Guess I should fix that

Toozie,

We only use GoDaddy for registrations. We use HostGator, BlueHost, WestHost, and a group of smaller "hosts" for the sites we build and maintain. (We also register with them, when we don't want to split the registration from the hosting.) Wix is used by some friends, and they are doing OK with it.

There are different opinions about each, and for different reasons.

If you have the code from your old site, with a bit of tweaking it should work on any of the above. Otherwise, this may be an opportunity to build a new, better, web-presence. It is up to you. :)

I can offer cheap hosting to supporting members of this website as long as your traffic and space is resonable. Also I would recommend looking at wix.com they have a good product.

Back