Grinch data issues

bjhays

Let me start out with what I have done:
  • I made a tester following John's schematic with the LEDs.
  • LED comes on in all cases
  • Test Sequence lights all channels from Vixen
  • I am using an old PS to power my grinch ( outputting ~5.27vdc), have jumper on J1
  • I am using the Olsen595 plugin in vixen 2.1.4, with 1 to 64 channels assigned to Parallel1
  • I have reflowed all of the joints on the board just to be sure that I got them all good.
  • Tried swapping the ICs (MBI) around and didn't seem to make a difference
  • Tried an 8ft and 6inch controller cable, same result
  • The only mode in BOIS is EPP+ECP which is selected
  • Used a diode (1N4001) to lower the voltage coming into the grinch down to 4.42, same result
  • Tried Three different computers with the same result
  • Tried simple595 in vixen with same result.
  • U1-U4 -> pin 1 jumped to pin 5 activates the first channel, same with 1/6,1/7, and 1/8

Measurements:
  • On boot DB25 Pin 1 reads 4.98vdc, DB25 Pin 2 reads 3.68vdc, DB25 Pin 14 reads 5.23vdc
  • When vixen is running test (on for 2 sec/off for two): DB25 Pin 1 reads .1vdc, DB25 Pin 2 reads 3.46vdc/.11vdc, DB25 Pin 14 reads .1-.11vdc
  • Before Diode U1 pin 5 reads 3.73, U1 pin 24 reads 5.14
  • After Diode U1 pin 5 reads 3.05, U1 pin 24 reads 4.42
  • After Vixen runs all pins stay around .11vdc

Problems:
  • A1 does not come on alone, only with ch5
  • B2 activates B1, B3/B2, B4/B3, C1/B4
  • C4 does not activate
  • D1 activates D2, D2/D3, D3/D4, D4 nothing
  • all of E1-L1 doesn't respond
  • L2 turns on L1&L2
  • L3-P4 nothing

Everything that I have read so far leads me to believe that I have bad chips (or need to get allegros) and that the voltage on all of my DB25 ports are really low.

Am I on track or do you guys see an underlying problem that I haven't (been working on it too long)?
I am tearing my hair out trying to figure this out, but get lost after steps 6-8 on the data problems troubleshooting. My voltage is neither VCC or 0 all the time it is 3.73 (before diode) and does not fluctuate from VCC to 0.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

I will have to dig out my grinch boards from last year and check the voltages on my end. I may not get to it until tomorrow, but I will get back to you.
I could not get my grinch to work with the olsen595 but it did work with the simple595 once I got the starting address in correctly. I am thinking right off the bat, port is disabled, or cable is made backward. I don't think it is your board. Let me set it up tomorrow and I will verify what you have recorded.

In the mean time, go into your hardware manager and make sure the port is not disabled.

OK... So I drug out an old PC and rebuilt it from parts and booted it up under "normal" for the Parallel settings and it seems to work. Who knew that the connection could be so fickle.:rolleyes: You would think that three different PCs would have been enough to cover my bases, but I guess four is the lucky number here.

I went ahead and made an RJ45 with the wires hanging out and stuck the raw wires in the parallel port for testing to eliminate any cable issues. I found that even though my original cable had continuity between the pin on the DB25 and the RJ45 pin, it would not work. So, I chopped it off to about 2 inches and put a female RJ45 on it and it seems to be working.

I also found that sometime in my testing (or something) I had burned the lead that went from the RJ45in to the RJ45 out for power. I soldered a wire to bypass the lead and wallah!

In summary... I am running on "normal" mode with the Olsen595 plugin and the channels light in the correct order!!!!!!:grin:

Thanks for all the help!

Glad to hear you got it working. I did check all of your data on my old grinch setup last night, and all of my voltages matched yours within reason.
Isn't nice to know you were able to solve the problem on your own. its such a great feeling.

Again, glad to hear it is all working and that you can now finish your sequencing. Let us know if you need any more help, and have fun with your display.

Back