Group Buy: FWC Full Wave Converter, 1/2 to Full Wave LED string Converter board

In terms of actual function. No, none at all.
The advantages are mostly around convenience and some strenght.
The biggest advantage are the attachment points for your input and output wires.
The board creates a soldering point that makes for a very good and secure attachment.
Without this, you are soldering wire to wire, in a freehand manner that may be more likely to fail given your soldering skills.
Is there an advantage to these over just twisting the diodes??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be nice to get an update on when the first 2014 Group Buy will start.

I think we're talking two boards this time: one for FWC only and one with resistor capabilities for custom length LED strings (great for Coro projects, talking faces, etc) .. Is this correct ?

It would be nice to get an update on when the first 2014 Group Buy will start.

I think we're talking two boards this time: one for FWC only and one with resistor capabilities for custom length LED strings (great for Coro projects, talking faces, etc) .. Is this correct ?
You're right, sorry haven't been on much here lately. I've been out of the country and just got caught up at work. I have three prototypes of the new board that I want to solder up and test. I should be able to solder them up this weekend and post pictures. If everything works and everyone is happy with the design, we can start the group buy pretty much any time.

Sounds good!!! I think you got a LOT of people biting at the nails for these lil peices of candy lol. I know Im ready to start doing some soldering while I have my down time!!!!

Thanks for taking this on.

Prototype boards are in.
More news soon.
You're right, sorry haven't been on much here lately. I've been out of the country and just got caught up at work. I have three prototypes of the new board that I want to solder up and test. I should be able to solder them up this weekend and post pictures. If everything works and everyone is happy with the design, we can start the group buy pretty much any time.

Are the two of you working together on this year's updated designs and group buy ?

That is up to kmalsom.
If Kari's membership status can get the volume needed and he wants to do it, then that's great.
Otherwise, I'll be happy to once again step in to facilitate the GB.
Are the two of you working together on this year's updated designs and group buy ?

O.K. I soldered up a board while watching the Olympics. I have solder bridges everywhere! Are there any I really need to correct?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

O.K. I soldered up a board while watching the Olympics. I have solder bridges everywhere! Are there any I really need to correct?

Can you post a picture or the board? (Both sides if there are bridges on both sides)

I have bridges everywhere you could. But after reading this full thread and the full development thread I finally found a picture of the current board layout. And I'm good to go. Thank you!

Here is a pic of the prototype of the board with resistors on board:
20140216_223646.jpg

As you can see it's about twice the size of the original board and can handle either one or two resistors. (ignore the cold solder joints on these prototypes :sly:)

I enlarged the holes that the wires would go in, but I'm going to resize them back like the other boards.

Here is another photo for sizeing:
20140216_223823.jpg

Here is a pic of the prototype of the board with resistors on board:
View attachment 23218

As you can see it's about twice the size of the original board and can handle either one or two resistors. (ignore the cold solder joints on these prototypes :sly:)

I enlarged the holes that the wires would go in, but I'm going to resize them back like the other boards.

Here is another photo for sizeing:
View attachment 23219

Is there a guide we can look at that describes how to perform the resistor calculations to resize the LED strings ? It would be great to see if there is a draft.

For the group buy I hope you will be offering both boards. Having a smaller board for general rectification is good. Then the resistor boards for custom lighting effect designs.

Is there a guide we can look at that describes how to perform the resistor calculations to resize the LED strings ? It would be great to see if there is a draft.

For the group buy I hope you will be offering both boards. Having a smaller board for general rectification is good. Then the resistor boards for custom lighting effect designs.
There are a couple documents out there and a calculator I created. I will look for these and post them. I'm going to see how many of the board with resistors I can fit on a panel and what the price would be. Then I will run an interest thread for both boards.

This is great news. I look forward to seeing it ..

I also want to thank @corytcline for sending me a panel of the original boards. I am using them to giving a demo at our TASL quarterly meeting Saturday. TASL is Triangle Area Synchronized Lighting. We meet in the South West Raleigh NC area 3 or 4 times a year. We have about 16 or 18 members attending Saturday. And always open to remote guests ...

A lot of new members this year. The club has grown from a handful of us who formed the club in 2009, to about 25 in 2014. It's fun having local live meetings and our content for each meeting is much like a Convention with great speakers. We've also learned that we need to drop back and talk about the basics for the sake of new members or the club would not grow. We have a pot luck lunch and there are some pretty darned good cooks in this group !

Back