Harbor Freight 8” desktop drill press

Litebrite

I’m not sure I’m doing this right or maybe this drill press isn’t good enough. The issue I’m running into is that when I have the step bit installed in the chuck I can’t drill all the way through a 1/2” piece of pvc and still have enough clearance to lift the pvc up and flip it over. I can get the bit do go through one side if I push the pipe all the way up to touch the bit then lower the bit. But when I raise it back up the pvc is touching the bit. There isn’t room to flip the pipe unless I lower the work table and ride it back up. The spindle travel on this is 2”. Seems like I don’t have the drill press setup right or something. The box says 8”. Any advice??

I’m not sure I’m doing this right or maybe this drill press isn’t good enough. The issue I’m running into is that when I have the step bit installed in the chuck I can’t drill all the way through a 1/2” piece of pvc and still have enough clearance to lift the pvc up and flip it over. I can get the bit do go through one side if I push the pipe all the way up to touch the bit then lower the bit. But when I raise it back up the pvc is touching the bit. There isn’t room to flip the pipe unless I lower the work table and ride it back up. The spindle travel on this is 2”. Seems like I don’t have the drill press setup right or something. The box says 8”. Any advice??
There should be a travel stop that you can set usually takes an Small wrench to adjust it . Check out this video to adjust

https://youtu.be/lA6MrazYdYo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If your base plate is all the way to the bottom you could raise it to get the product up higher .

I think i have the drill press you are talking about.
I have to clamp a jig to the deck, set the deck height, adjust the depth, use a step bit, and work on 1/2 PVC.
I suspect you have the depth adjustment incorrect. I have forgotten it when I set it shallow and didn't use the press for a while. When I try to use it as it only travels a half inch, I suddenly remember. Duh.

There are 2 variations of how the depth adjustment is set. Here are links to the manual. That adjustment is covered on page 8 of both manuals.
Variation 1
Variation 2

Maybe the jig is just too big. I have the depth set to max. I can drill through the pipe if I rest the bit on the bit then press. Problem is, if I do that I can’t raise the pipe to move it over the dowel to do the next hole.C412A5EF-C6F2-4A7C-AA8B-C823BCE435C2.jpeg
1D8CEEA0-3AE4-4621-B859-CAADB6F98FD3.jpeg

2" of travel, but your forgetting to subtract the length of that stepped drill bit. Hold a tape measure on the drill press and see how much movement you have. I bet your getting the two inches. Trouble is you need more movement because you have to move the stepped bit over an inch to get to the full diameter. I have a 15" drill press and have just enough travel to get the job done.

Hi,
I used the same base for drilling my holes. On advice here, I used THIS step drill. It worked great.

Attachments

• jig.jpg
    jig.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 57
  • jig1.jpg
    jig1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 74
2" of travel, but your forgetting to subtract the length of that stepped drill bit. Hold a tape measure on the drill press and see how much movement you have. I bet your getting the two inches. Trouble is you need more movement because you have to move the stepped bit over an inch to get to the full diameter. I have a 15" drill press and have just enough travel to get the job done.
This is ��. I’m thinking if the sides of my jig weren’t so high to hold the pipe in place I would be able to do it. I’m going to try that self centering pipe jig mounted on a piece of wood and I’ll put a dowel to hold the pipe. I’d rather not go up high enough in price to get to a 15” drill press. Although I do like some of the added features. But first year into pixels is getting on up there with controllers, enclosures, wire, pixels, props, tools, etc.

This is ��. I’m thinking if the sides of my jig weren’t so high to hold the pipe in place I would be able to do it. I’m going to try that self centering pipe jig mounted on a piece of wood and I’ll put a dowel to hold the pipe. I’d rather not go up high enough in price to get to a 15” drill press. Although I do like some of the added features. But first year into pixels is getting on up there with controllers, enclosures, wire, pixels, props, tools, etc.

Man your not kidding all the little stuff I didn’t think about has skyrocketed my budget lol

Man your not kidding all the little stuff I didn’t think about has skyrocketed my budget lol

The first year is the worst unless you do a major revamp of your show.

Back