Helix Ether-Node Controller

gmbartlett

I've attached the first draft of my new Helix node designed to control RGB pixel controllers like the E68x series. I'm calling it the Helix Ether-Node. The board is 3.9" x 6.9". The target number of DMX universes it will be able to put out is 48. I'm still working on the firmware but I can't really test it without this board and an E68x board. But the initial work looks good to making that goal.

Please take a look at the board and let me know if you have any comments or concerns. The Helix Ether-Node v1 PCB.pdf file has three sheets. The first sheet is the silkscreen layer, the second sheet is the top layer traces and the third sheet is the bottom layer traces (as if looking through the board). The Helix Ether-Node v1 Schematic.pdf file has the four sheets that represent the schematic.

If no one sees/has any problems I plan to order this board next weekend. It still looks like the price for the PCB will be <$15 in small quantities. I haven't worked up the BOM yet. I plan to start on that in the next day or so.

Attachments

• Helix Ether-Node v1 BOM 1 Sep 2013.xls
    39.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Helix Ether-Node v1 Assembly DRAFT 27 Oct 2013.pdf
    544.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Helix Ether-Node v1 Schematic 24 Nov 2013.pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Helix Ether-Node v1 PCB 1 Dec 2013.pdf
    340.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Greg,

This will be a huge gain for your Helix system. To be honest, I wasn't expecting this to happen this year, but I LOVE to be proved wrong. (Except with the UCONN Women tonight, I hope I'm right. :) )

I haven't purchased pixels or dumb RGB lights yet, but it looks like I'll need to start looking at pixels even harder now.

Wish I lived closer for the OKC Area Mini.

I'll refresh the offer, if you need some pixels to help test, I will order some and ship them to you for testing.

Very exciting indeed.

Bryan

...I'll refresh the offer, if you need some pixels to help test, I will order some and ship them to you for testing...

Thank you for the offer but I've got another user that is going to loan his E862 and some pixel strings to me for testing.

Looks great Greg... Have you figured out a final cost per board built yet ????

The parts cost looks like it will be about $65 for the wired option and $100 for the wireless option. So with a PCB cost of about $15.00 the total build cost would be about $80 - $115.

Any updates on the Ether-Node Greg? I'm waiting on a successful test before I pull the trigger and get order some pixels.

Any updates on the Ether-Node Greg? I'm waiting on a successful test before I pull the trigger and get order some pixels.

I've ordered the PCB and new microSD card sockets. However, they are on a slow boat from China. I don't expect to receive them for a few more weeks. So I won't have any results for a month or more.

Re: Helix Ether-Node Controller (Progress Finally!)

I'm finally making some headway on the Ether-Node firmware. I just completed a test with a 50 ms event period pushing out three DMX universes (510 ch each) and driving the equivalent of four 127 pixel strings. Everything worked great.

I still need to test it further, both with 25 ms event periods and up to 48 DMX universes. But that is going to require some additional sequencing work and more room to set up. Unfortunately I don't have 64-127 pixel strings nor do I have four e682 boards.

What I do have is two e682 boards and four 50 pixel strings. So I plan to setup one of the boards as the first board and the other one as the fourth board. I will then connect up one of the pixel strings to the first output on the first board and a second on the last output on the first board. I will then repeat the same with the "fourth" board. My plan is to drive the stings as if they were 127 pixel strings and put the same output to all of them. That way I can see if they stay in synch with each other. If all four strands respond as expected then that would be a good indicator that everything in between is working also since all of the DMX universes (1 to 48) had to be sent out.

I'm much more comfortable with letting this out in the wild. The firmware this year probably won't have all of the bells and whistles but it will be functional. If anyone is still interested in getting a Helix Ether-Node this year please send a message to me at orders "at" helixlightcontroller "dot" com and let me know how many boards you would like and your ZIP Code or country (if outside US).

The price for each board is $15.00 ($12.00 for the PCB, $2.00 for the microSD socket and $1.00 for the EEPROM) plus PayPal and Shipping. I have a limited quantity (10) available this year.

I really appreciate everyone's patience with me on this. It has taken A LOT longer than I expected and my time this year was taken up but other forces outside of my control.

Re: Helix Ether-Node Controller (Progress Finally!)

Awesome news Greg. I already sent you an email. I need 2 boards. One for me and one for my brothers display.

Thanks for all of the hard work!

Mark

All of the Helix Ether-Node PCBs for this year have been purchased. I plan to do another purchase of PCBs early next year. If you are still interested in getting a Helix Ether-Node for next year's display then please send an email to me at orders "at" helixlightcontroller "dot" com and I'll put you on the a list. That way I will make sure I order enough boards.

I've added a Draft Assembly manual to the first post in this thread. It is very rough at this time. Blantrip has offered to assist me with fleshing it out (Thank you very much). I'll add the updates as I get them.

I've uploaded the new version of the Helix Network Supervisor that supports the Helix Ether-Node. If you don't have one of the Ether-Nodes then I wouldn't recommend updating to this version yet. There no new features that would provide much benefit for the Helix Main Board users only. Since the current version of the HNS is stable, I didn't have any reported problems from the users last year, then I would recommend continue using it.

For the Helix Ether-Node users you can install the new HNS from: http://www.helixlightcontroller.com/downloads/V3_2/HNS_V3_2_INSTALL.HTM

When you install it the set up wizard will run. Point it to a Vixen v2.x instance and you can use the same directory that you used for the HNS V3 for the working files.

The main changes for the user are in the Channel Map area. This isn't very bullet proof yet so you have to be careful with what you put in there. To add a new Helix board you press the Blue Plus button on the menu bar. The first board will always be your Helix Network Controller. When you press the Plus button a form will pop-up that will allow you to specify the version of Main Board that you have and the communication mode. Once you press OK on the form then it will populate the board in the Channel Map with some basic default settings. You can now make some changes to many of the settings; such as, change the board name, add a board description, name each of the Channel Banks, specify the function of each Channel Bank and the channels it uses and provide a description for each Channel Bank. These new names and descriptions are just to help you keep things straight when you are creating the Channel Map. You can leave the default values if you wish.

To add a Helix Ether-Node you would press the Blue Plus button again. Now the pop-up form will have the Ether-Node as an option in the drop down for the Board Version. Be sure to select the same communication mode as your HNC. Now when you press the OK button it will add an Ether-Node board to the Channel Map. This time you will notice there are several more settings. The Ether-Node can communicate with up to four E682 boards so it has four sockets. Each socket has up to 12 DMX universes. There are various IP addresses that are pre-set. The default for all Ether-Node boards is for each board and its associated (up to four) E682 boards would be a standalone network. The Ether-Node board would have the IP address of 192.168.10.10. The first E682 board would be 192.168.10.11, the second 192.168.10.12, the third 192.168.10.13 and the fourth would be 192.168.10.14. I set my PC to be 192.168.10.2 and the gateway is set for 192.168.10.1 (however, since this is a closed private network it should never try to reach the gateway). You can change these IP addresses to whatever you would like, but unless there is a compelling reason I would recommend leaving them as the defaults as I know they work.

If you add a second Helix Ether Node then it would use the same IP addresses. But as I stated above, I envision each group to be a standalone network so the second board and its associated E682s should be connected together on a separate switch. I use an inexpensive Rosewill 8 port Fast Ethernet switch I picked up from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166035. It goes on sale for $9.99 w/free shipping every so often. It has worked well for me so far.

You select the different boards by selecting them in the tree view of the Channel Map. The HNC will always have an upper case "C" next to it. The Helix Network Nodes will have an upper case "N" and the Helix Ether-Node will have an upper case "E". Each of the sockets on an Ether-Node will have an entry in the tree and have an upper case "S". The name that you give each board and socket will be reflected in the tree view of the Channel Map. This will help you find what you are looking for once you start getting larger systems.

All of the other tabs in the HNS work the same. So once you save the Channel Map (and create your show/playlist/trigger/schedule) you can go to the Tools tab and use the Upload Wizard to create the necessary files. One word of caution, if you use the wizard to help you load the files on your microSD cards be aware the it will load the various cards in alphabetical order based on the board name. So be aware of which system is being loaded by looking at the name of the Helix System that it is trying to load.

As always if you have any questions, have problems, find bugs please let me know and I'll assist as soon as possible.

Back