Helix Mode 1 test

51fordf2

I finally got around to doing a major test of the Helix, in Mode 1, using the latest files from Greg. I had a little trouble getting it going at first, as I still don't have a 100% grasp of how everything interacts, but getting VERY close to understanding it all. A quick call to Greg got me back on-track. Every time I talk or email Greg, I learn a little more. For me, it's not enough to just do something, I need to understand it, and Greg has been very patient!

I ran 256 channels for 4 hours, and never lost any timing whatsoever. The last time it played through was spot on, just as the first time was. That was a problem others were seeing - timing was going off on either longer sequences, or large number of channels. My first sequence is a mix of 4 songs that runs just under 7 minutes, and the 2nd is a mix of 2 songs, that runs just over 5 minutes. I have a one-minute pause between the two sequences.

I am adding the 2nd Network node to it in the next few days, and changing the sequence for 384 channels, followed by another test. I currently have 248 channels in use, but don't have my 20 strobes figured in. That will take me to 268, and requires the 3rd board. Drat the luck! (heh-heh!!). Now, since I should have the 3rd board operational, I can put the icicles on separate channels, as well...

All in all, I'm ready for Christmas. I'm still hoping to do some testing on Mode 3, as I think it will be easier to change shows night to night, but either way, I'm very happy.

Thanks, Greg, and everyone else who made it possible...

Roger

Roger, it really sounds impressive! With 384 channels, what's your normal sequencing timing? 50ms? 100ms?

Dave - I'm not using all 384, just have that capability. I started with 100 ms, and that's what the test was done with. Some of the places in the sequence, have every other event on/off, and it kept up just fine. After the test, I've changed it to 50 ms, but haven't tested it yet. As well as it did on 100, I'm sure it will do fine. The big thing is, in Mode 1, it plays off the SD card, so isn't tied to the speed of the serial connection like other systems. I'm still not sure what my exact final count will be, starting to panic due to 47 days from today until T-day! Plus, the weather's starting to get cold here, also. I haven't worked my strobes in yet, and that's what I need the other channels for, if I use the floods. But, I don't have the floods done yet, so I can swap their channels over to strobes...decisions, decisions!! I have so much going on, that leaving a few things out, won't matter at all. I should know exactly what and how, by week's end.

I'll try to get around to a test at 50 ms, and maybe even 25, just to see how it does...

EDIT: Dave, I guess what I'm trying to say, is since the actual sequence is on the SD card, on each Node, and just the event timing comes from the Main Controller, it shouldn't matter HOW many channels you have, that won't affect the playing speed. Again, I'll try to get around to some testing at 25 ms timing. I do know that the Helix likes "even" numbers, in multiples of 5 - 25, 30, 35, etc, and NOT 28, 32, 37, etc. But that shouldn't be a biggie.

Roger

Last edited:
Back