Help! How do I convert files to V3

BillW

Supporting Member
General help needed! I am not a computer wiz, I've down loaded the file from the sequencearmory, it is a xlight file. How do I get it to convert to a vixen 3 file so I can sequence? I've opened Vixen 3 selected tools>Import sequence> but when I search for the file I don't see it. But when I go to the download folder it's there. Please help.

Bill

IIRC there are a few steps that are needed to accomplish this or it may have been Vixen to Xlights.
Anyways,I'm sure one of the other guys will chime in and give a more in depth answer. Good luck.

Last edited:
You really have 3 options at this point and need to choose the best based on future effort.

1. Sequence yourself.
2. Find a vixen 3 source of free sequences.
3. Switch sequencers.

The latter only makes sense if the sequencing effort outweighs the effort to resetup your show.

Bump...still looking. If anyone has this as a Vixen 3 sequence, would you please share.

Thanks

There is not a good way to do this, and I am not sure this even works any more or if the Vixen team would ever approve, but

In Xlights there is a Covert Tool and it will let you convert a xlights sequence file to other types, one of which is a Vixen 2.1 ".vix" file. Then in Vixen 3 you Open the the .VIX sequence and map it to your Vixen 3 display. The main problem here is that you have to have your display built in Vixen 2.1

Last edited:
While it may work to two step convert through the vix format, what you'll end up with is a whole mess of tiny rudimentary effects that approximate what the original sequence is doing. It's not going to be easy to edit and interact with. Also, if the process results in too many effects, performance will be very poor, and can even crash the app. Given the complexity of most modern xLights sequences for sale these days, the likelihood of hitting this threshold is fairly high.

While Vixen and xLights both blink lights, there's some pretty significant fundamental differences to how we go about it. And because of that, there really isn't a direct translation between the two. If we were close enough to have direct function for function mappings, there wouldn't be a point in having two different apps. Creating import/export tools on either the Vixen or xLights side would be a fairly major effort and one that would be highly subject to breaking whenever one or the other apps makes any changes.

If you don't want to learn to sequence in xlights (don't blame you) and only want to use a sequence you purchased/downloaded, you could just setup your layout in xlights, map the sequence(s) to it and save it as an FSEQ file that you can import to FPP to run in your show.

I imported a V2 sequence file and the elements names were all listed as unknown. So I mapped them randomly and it worked for the most part. There are some I wish the entire line was mapped to a different device. Is there a quick way to map an entire sequence line to a different element?

Is it as simple as renaming elements?

Okay I think I figured it out on my own. Go to Sequence Package Import tool; Then at the bottom, edit the Profile Map you already created.

Last edited:
Back