Help sourcing IR LEDs

Materdaddy

I'm looking to outfit a DIYC Flood for blasting my guests with 940nm-950nm IR. This is to have them bring their own Disney® Glow With The Show™ hats to my display and take control of them. I have a couple of those floods un-built from a previous group buy so I already have constant current LED drivers and the rest of the BOM. I simply need to find some 5mm Piranha Style Super Flux LEDs that are 940-950nm.

I tried a few google searches and the only ones I could find were either 850nm which won't work, or minimum order qty of 2k+.

I know some of you out there probably have some places for me to check, especially those of you running stores/group buys.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

There are quite a few higher power 940nm IR LEDs out there (1W - 20W are easy to find). They will need some changes to the power supply to drive.
/mike

I thought he we looking for Piranha style, which are the 4 pin square devices. (I opted to create a small daughter card that contains 15 standard 5mm leds, and uses a resistor for the constant current source. So far so good). I can post gerbers if anyone else wants to try.

I looked for some to make a IR Flood out of a DIYC Flood board for a CCTV camera, but could not find any that were not in the visible range. Let me know if you find anything.

I thought he we looking for Piranha style, which are the 4 pin square devices. (I opted to create a small daughter card that contains 15 standard 5mm leds, and uses a resistor for the constant current source. So far so good). I can post gerbers if anyone else wants to try.

How hard would your solution be to perfboard? I might go this route since it's probably too late for me to get a PCB made.

Easy Peasy... the schematic is no different than the MightyMini LED flood. Several (three) leds in series with a resistor. Put a few of those in parallel, and toss in a MOSFET to trigger/control the mess.

Easy Peasy... the schematic is no different than the MightyMini LED flood. Several (three) leds in series with a resistor. Put a few of those in parallel, and toss in a MOSFET to trigger/control the mess.

Recommendation on a .1" spaced MOSFET that would go on perfboard easily and work well for this?

Off the top of my head.. why not the ones used in the DCSSR?

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCSSR

The only difference, is that I removed the OPTO isolator, as it couldn't keep up with the PWM signalling frequencies. So the PIC is poking the MOSFET directly. So rather than PIC-> DCSSR ( ie. OPTO-> MOSFET) -> LEDs... it becomes.. PIC->MOSFET->LEDs.

If you have a DCSSR PCB handy it should be easy to jumper across the opto and drive the MOSFET direct.

Edit:
More details on what I did are in the PDF posted in the DMX2IR thread.

Recommendation on a .1" spaced MOSFET that would go on perfboard easily and work well for this?

Last edited:

The only difference, is that I removed the OPTO isolator, as it couldn't keep up with the PWM signalling frequencies. So the PIC is pocking the MOSFET directly. So rather than PIC-> DCSSR ( ie. OPTO-> MOSFET) -> LEDs... it becomes.. PIC->MOSFET->LEDs.

If you have a DCSSR PCB handy it should be easy to jumper across the opto and drive the MOSFET direct.

Edit:

Thank you very much for that! I bookmarked your thread when you were actively working on it, but didn't really follow everything with the intention of coming back when I had time. I've been busy with life, FPP, komby, and other things that I haven't given much time/thought to the GwtS transmitter this year, but as I'm getting closer, I'm hoping I can get far enough with everything to make it happen.

Thanks again!

Please keep us (me!) updated on this as well. I've had a number of things impair my forward progress on the GwtS effort and the display in general but I'm trying to make it a priority to get a transmitter out there (driven by Arduino still) when the display kicks off in week so that I can spend the season tweaking code and learning how to sequence for them. At the risk of taking this off topic, my latest idea is to sequence them 1 second ahead of everything else and make use of the time offsets that the ears understand to help increase accuracy/response from the audience. Meaning, if my house is going to turn green at 01:34.00 then I'd send that to the ears at 01:33.00 and then code (that I'd have to write) running on my Arduino transmitter driver would send that command at 01:33.00 with the 1 second offset, send it again a little later with the offset minus the retransmit delay, etc until 01:34.00 when it'd send the "turn green NOW" command.

Lots of ideas floating around in my head, now I just need some time to implement and play with them. THAT is the hard part though. ;)

Thanks,

-joni-

Thank you very much for that! I bookmarked your thread when you were actively working on it, but didn't really follow everything with the intention of coming back when I had time. I've been busy with life, FPP, komby, and other things that I haven't given much time/thought to the GwtS transmitter this year, but as I'm getting closer, I'm hoping I can get far enough with everything to make it happen.

Thanks again!

LabRat,

Just confirming a few things if you don't mind... The daughter boards run the IR LED's in series, correct? Just confirming since the LED floods mentioned below said parallel. These run at 5v regulated and the resistors in series with each set of 3 LED's are 2.2 ohm? Do you know the forward voltage and current ratings of the IR LED's you used? I'm figuring that I'll need to tweak these values slightly since the ones I have probably don't match your spec exactly.

Thanks!

-joni-

The only difference, is that I removed the OPTO isolator, as it couldn't keep up with the PWM signalling frequencies. So the PIC is poking the MOSFET directly. So rather than PIC-> DCSSR ( ie. OPTO-> MOSFET) -> LEDs... it becomes.. PIC->MOSFET->LEDs.

Edit:

5 sets of three in parallel.. (ie. three leds in series with a resistor... x5 (all in parallel)). Check out the schematic in that PDF.

Don't recall the forward Voltage.. it was a standard part from Vishay.. (as I recall). Can try and dig out the part number tonight.

VISHAY TSAL5100 -

As I recall there was another emitter on the Market (also from Vishay) that had a wider beam angle, but Mouser didn't have them.

Back