HLS - 2013 Introduction Training Video

JHinkle

This is a whole hour of Training on HLS --- Just getting Started and on Raw Channel Management.

I stated in the video that I had a bug in Dimming Curve assignment. Turns out not be a bug in the software - just me.

I was trying to assign the wrong Type of dimming curve to channels - and HLS was smart enough not to let it happen.

I have removed several OLD YouTube videos on HLS --- they were confusing people because things have changed so much.

I hope you enjoy.

Joe

WOW again
Only took an hour and a half to watch an hour of video.

Really understood folders this time and see where they will be used.

#1 Noticed that you used underscores instead of spaces in your folder and channel names.
Is that your habit, or a requirement?

#2 The folders are such a great improvement, any chance of having folders in the select channels to work with screen?
Would make it so much easier to select folders instead of groups of channels.
Thinking it through you still might need the ability to expand a folder so you could select specific channels, or reorder the ones that were there into a display group.

#3 Probably getting ahead of myself. Can you assign pixel plane channels to segments??
So a pixel mega tree with 32 strands could assign each strand to its own segment.

Cant wait for the next video.

Joel

#3 Probably getting ahead of myself. Can you assign pixel plane channels to segments??
So a pixel mega tree with 32 strands could assign each strand to its own segment.

Cant wait for the next video.

Joel

You can work with individual PixelPlane channels.

If you assigned a strand to a segment - that would mean you intended to have every pixel in that strand behave exactly the same way for effects placed on the segment.

Is that what your were thinking of?

Joe

YES
To create retro effects that looked like strands without revealing that you have full pixel capability.

Joel

The vertical bar should be able to do this, but last year there were issues.
Also one of my favorite effects is waht I call a fan
You do a ramp up of each strand starting from the center,
or a ramp down starting from the outside.
See the start of this video

Last edited:
Excellent Video Joe , thanks for that info packed hour . ........and the previous 3500 hours it took you create it ! :)

Thanks Joe a great help. I’m scrapping all my work to date and starting over. Following the video step by step.

This is great, esp since I'm planning on using HLS for 2013's show. The thing I'm really struggling with though is my preview. No matter what I do, I cannot get the bmp image to display. Can those of you that have it working offer some tips? Resolution, # of colors, etc? Also, any idea what the minimum hardware requirements are in terms of recommended CPU/RAM? I'll be running approx 1,500 pixels and about 200 channels of Renard - to start with in HLS and then scale up from there in 2014 and beyond.

Thanks,

-joni-

If your cpu is a p4 or better your good to go .

as far as the .bmp 1024x 728 is common , you may need to play with to suit you monitor though.

Joe,
As you know (by my other posts) I have been struggling with HLS.

Thank you,Thank you for doing this presentation.

I won't say the light has come on yet,but it is 75% brighter and I have a new hope of using HLS.

Thanks again.

as far as the bmp, some conversion programs do not work well with HLS. I would suggest you use "paint" to convert your picture to bmp format. I know that this works as I used it for mine and have no issues. Hope this helps.

Joe, Thank you again. I am just watching it now. :)

Thanks Joe! You definitely gave me a solid foundation for starting to explore HLS! I appreciate the great work you have done to this point!

Great video Joe -- and very timely! I was just getting ready to use HLS to test my vertical matrix. However, you mentioned in the video that RGB channels cannot cross universe boundaries. This limitation does not exist with Lynx smart strings nor with the LOR sequencer (which is what I used last year). I'm hesitating to reprogram all of my smart string controllers just to use HLS (and make them incompatible with all of my 2012 sequences).

Matt

Great video Joe -- and very timely! I was just getting ready to use HLS to test my vertical matrix. However, you mentioned in the video that RGB channels cannot cross universe boundaries. This limitation does not exist with Lynx smart strings nor with the LOR sequencer (which is what I used last year). I'm hesitating to reprogram all of my smart string controllers just to use HLS (and make them incompatible with all of my 2012 sequences).

Matt

I am curious to know what the vertical matrix is , is it 3d ? or just x -y like a grid matrix ?

Hls does support Rj's ether dongle i believe , if that is what you mean by crossing boundaries.

I am curious to know what the vertical matrix is , is it 3d ? or just x -y like a grid matrix ?

Hls does support Rj's ether dongle i believe , if that is what you mean by crossing boundaries.

It is just an x-y matrix at the moment (was my RGB tree during show season). In my show, I have been driving it with a pixelnet usb dongle; in testing I have been driving it with the etherdongle. Either way, the 171st pixel uses 2 channels from universe 1 and the first channel of universe 2.

Matt

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

Matt:

If you are using PixelNet (4096 channels) - HLS will send them a as a single block.

The 170 pixels (510 channels) is a DMX controller concern.

If you use PixelNet --- in HLS - just make all 4096 channels a single universe and also mark them - "Multi-DMX".

Joe

Matt

Matt:

I posted above with regard to PixelNet.

The 510 channel / 170 Pixels is not an issue with HLS. They are requirements by either the Transport Layer (E131 as an example) or the Controller (which operates on DMZ packets and controls only full pixels.

HLS has implemented several output mechanisms that are not bounded by the DMX 510 channel requirement - again Pixenel as an example.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Back