House Outline Mounting Tips

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster!

This will be my 3rd year doing a Christmas light display - and I've added about all I can add in the yard, and on the face of the house. This year I am considering adding onto the house outline. We have a steep roof pitch, so I've avoided messing with anything up there.

I'm not sure how to mount things on the roof, or on the upstairs windows which have vinyl siding around them. I mounted lights on the gutters using PVC and J-Channel so the PVC just kind of hangs off the gutter.

1. How could I mount lights going up and across the roof (the left/right/top)?
2. How could I mount lights to upstairs windows, and/or the dormers around the windows?

I would like to be able to fabricate something so that my time spent up on the roof is limited - so easy install / take down is a must. I've attached a picture, and hopefully that will help. I've highlighted the areas where I'm interested in adding lights.

Attachments

• LightsOnFarmbrook-Outline.jpg
    LightsOnFarmbrook-Outline.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 73
Since you know pvc, stick with it. You could make "ladders". The ladder will keep them pointed in the right direction. Then secure them with ropes over the back side. Of course, make them in 10 foot sections so you can break them down for storage.

By “ladders” - are you referring to using PVC to “hug” the horizontal roof peak?

Still not sure how to mount on the left and right sides of the roof - can I drill holes in the roof and mount PVC holders?

For my "Left and Right" side of the roof line, I used the J-Channel and shingle clips. My clips are big enough to slide into the side of shingle then over the J-Channel. In some spots I just put a shingle clip on both sides of the J- Channel, then a twist tie through both clips to hold it in place.

There are a lot of different types of clips, and I've seen some made for C9 bulbs that you could use for 1/2" pvc pipe that would hold it in place. I know Canny Systems https://www.cannysystems.com/ sells some clips for roof ridges that seem to work as well.

Back