How do I add light o rama controllers to an existing vixen profile?

banjoman

Hello,
I have ran a Christmas light show for multiple years now using Vixen. My original controller is one that I built using an arduino controller. This controller has since died, and I purchased 3 LOR controllers to replace it.
I am having trouble getting Vixen to talk to these controllers, does anyone have experience in running a show through Vixen using LOR controllers that could help me?

If I can't figure it out, I will not be able to have a light show this season....

Thanks, Layne :)

I don't have LOR controllers but they do DMX. So you want to setup DMX controllers in vixen and get an appropriate DMX style dongle.

Last edited:
I've been using the 16-channel LOR dimmer controllers for a number of years in the DMX configuration and they work great that way. I also use the 'Open DMX' controller type.
You can also mix/match other DMX light devices on the same string, just remember to set the DMX start address of each controller or device to unique DMX address ranges. I personally have a 12-channel DMX dimmer and a DMX relay module from different Chinese manufacturers added in with my LOR controllers and everything works together fine. I use the relay to turn on my inflatable Grinch blower motor when that song comes on. :)
For the LOR controllers (at least the ones I have) you need to use the LOR Utility software to set the "Unit ID" of each LOR controller for whatever DMX address range it will occupy within the specific universe. There is an ID to DMX address range table in the manual if I remember correctly.

I've been using the 16-channel LOR dimmer controllers for a number of years in the DMX configuration and they work great that way. I also use the 'Open DMX' controller type.
You can also mix/match other DMX light devices on the same string, just remember to set the DMX start address of each controller or device to unique DMX address ranges. I personally have a 12-channel DMX dimmer and a DMX relay module from different Chinese manufacturers added in with my LOR controllers and everything works together fine. I use the relay to turn on my inflatable Grinch blower motor when that song comes on. :)
For the LOR controllers (at least the ones I have) you need to use the LOR Utility software to set the "Unit ID" of each LOR controller for whatever DMX address range it will occupy within the specific universe. There is an ID to DMX address range table in the manual if I remember correctly.

Thank you so much!
Last night I opened Vixen and set up the controllers on DMX mode and they worked great!
THank you for your insight.

,Layne

I bought the dongle from light o rama, and it works great. It is definitely a lot more expensive than this one but it gets the job done!:)

Back