How to add a Second power supply to my show?

eatumup

I added a second power supply for my show. its a 5v system running SK6812 RGBW leds.

I have 12 meters of the leds on the second power supply. This is only thing the second power supply drives. The first power supply drives the hardware and another series of LED's

When i have it all hooked up the strip running on the second power supply acts wired. it flickers and flashes in a sort of red color. when you stop the show or give the off command from xlights, the strip does not respond and keeps glowing/flickering.

If i move that same strips power to the first power supply it works as it should. I cant leave it that way.

I did read another post mentioning data requiring a ground reference, so i wonder if my wiring is incorrect.

Rather than hook it up as two power systems, should I be running the power supplies connected together in parallel? Do I need to connect the ground of the two power supplies together?

I made up a simplified reference drawing of how i have it hooked up. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad power supply? I did do a voltage check and am getting 5v from it.

Attachments

• power wiring.PNG
    power wiring.PNG
    870.2 KB · Views: 36
I think you need to run one power supply to one side of your controller and the other power supply to the other side of your controller. Thay way your power supply's share a common ground

The V- on the power supplies need to be connected together somehow. Either a single wire directly from one power supply to the other, or run a 2 wire from the controller with the data and V- from the output to the second Strip. Never connect the V+ together or else you will short out the LED's.

AJVenti's suggestion is the easiest way. The controller already combines the V- and keeps the V+ separated. Data - is also tied within the controller.
Unless specifically made for it, when you tie the V+ together, the power supplies will start to "fight" with each other and eventually cause one, or the other, or both to fail. (Ask me how I know.)
Power supplies that are made to tie together are rare and usually pricey. Most of the PS that we are using in this hobby are NOT capable of being used in this manner.

Back