how to buy from Ray question (again)

-bernard-

Supporting Member
Sorry for this redundant topic as I know this has been discussed before but I can't really find anything recent...
How do you proceed when buying from Ray? what to avoid or not to do?
Thanks in advance for your input.

uhmmm you go to his store on aliexpress, add what you want to cart, and buy......If you're wanting to make a large purchase and try to save some on shipping them just send him a message with what you want and he'll add the invoice for you.

Always send him a message with the numbers of what you want as well as descriptions. Be as detailed as you can so that he understands what it is that you want. The descriptions on the items on the site can be wrong sometimes so it is worth it to make sure. He will send an invoice for you to pay and I always get better pricing this way than to just order through the site.
Of course it helps too if you can get a bunch of things at one time to save on shipping as well.

Sorry for this redundant topic as I know this has been discussed before but I can't really find anything recent...
How do you proceed when buying from Ray? what to avoid or not to do?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Don't be sorry about asking. It's best to email him for a quote. Be very specific and use the terms off his website. It may take a few day's for him to get back to you. Go over the quote carefully. With all the cut and paste, and language difference it would be common to find a error. Reply to get any errors corrected. Then pay him and wait. If it's off the shelf maybe as short as a week. If it needs to be made (which can happen on common items too) it could take a month. He is reliable and will take care of a problem that's his fault. If you forget to mention something and it not written in your quote, oh well.

It is helpful to get advices from people who have dealt with Ray before and I appreciate your responses.

I think I remember reading before people receiving custom fees from the carrier weeks after delivery. Aren't those included in the shipping costs from Ray? is there a recommended carrier that is better to deal with?

I've never had to deal with other fees through Ray. Other vendors have had issues. I think Ray using DHL helps with this process.

Might be the case with Canadian buyer's but I order stuff from China all the time and have never had additional custom fee's even on large orders.

As there are always those that experience just the opposite, I have received Custom Fee invoices from DHL shipped products from Ray. Check the rules, but there are waivers available if you meet the criteria. (I don't have my notebook with me, so I can't quote what they were.)

I always send an email listing exactly what I want, and usually include a screen grab of the product listing. In the end, he ALWAYS saves me a ton on shipping. I as mildly surprised 2 weeks ago when I order a couple thousand pixels and some other stuff, got a pretty good discount, AND got it in 4 days from payment via DHL - Total shipping...$68.00. Ray is great to work with.

If I may, Just one word of warning.
While Ray is not always quick to respond, he will try to get you a decent price for what you want.
BUT, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check to make sure the items you get from him are soldered correctly and thoroughly. I can not count the number of times I have gotten things from him where wires are just STUCK ON THE CONTACT (not soldered at all) then the epoxy is squirted on. check for shorts (I have gotten LOTS of those), and check to make sure that you get exactly what you ordered.

Ray, is generally pretty good about sending out replacements, if it is close enough to Christmas for example when you see that things are not what they should be, you may not get your replacements till well after Christmas.

i suggest you create an account at AliExpress (like others have suggested) HERE or if you already have an account HERE and try to talk to him online in a chat session to ask your questions.

Just always check each item thoroughly BEFORE you install it in your display. checking each and every solder connection and making sure each item works properly.

So it sounds like the best thing is to get a quote but what are shipping costs like?

I was just pricing things out in Ray Wu's store on Aliexpress. I put about $600 worth of stuff in my cart and the shipping was over $300!!! If I want to by $8 worth of cord, shipping was listed as $27. is this right? Am I doing something wrong?

So it sounds like the best thing is to get a quote but what are shipping costs like?

I was just pricing things out in Ray Wu's store on Aliexpress. I put about $600 worth of stuff in my cart and the shipping was over $300!!! If I want to by $8 worth of cord, shipping was listed as $27. is this right? Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, get a quote. The shipping should be substantially less than that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I always ask for a quote to my door shipping included. Ray's cheaper on lights but more on shipping but over all a better deal for large purchases or custom work. Be very careful to provide maximum detail and your quote is correct. I've seen several people get lights not exactly what they wanted but couldn't blame Ray for what they didn't specify. Like getting 4 inch spacing when they wanted 6 inch but didn't get it in the quote. Or wanting black wire and getting multi because it wasn't in the quote. Or not asking for epoxy filled. And so on. If you can copy paste one of his ads it works great but you can't always find just what you want. Be careful, read his quote carefully, inspect and test them when you get them. And you'll be a happy camper!

How do I find Ray Wu's store? When I log on to Aliexpress I can't find his store! Help!

Bill

Ray is very helpful, you can also ask him for his recommendation on which items to buy. He has so many items on his website that it is not always to find exactly what you are looking for, be he can steer you right to it. He even sells some with the waterproof connectors already attached.

Back