How to mount PVC frames to my window?

Randomaker

I have a window that I would like to build a PVC frame for. There isnt any obvious way to mount it without drilling. Any ideas? I do have a 3D printer so I can make custom clips.
IMG_20210530_154615[1].jpg
IMG_20210530_154623[1].jpg

Over the window you could model a piece that could fit in between the cracks and have a small hole for wire to run down then, make a frame for the pixels hanging from the wire.

Maybe you could almost press fit the frame in? Basically make it almost the exact same dimensions of your window and press fit it in allowing friction to hold it in place. That'll take advantage of the recess there too.

Over the window you could model a piece that could fit in between the cracks and have a small hole for wire to run down then, make a frame for the pixels hanging from the wire.

So the frame would be swinging from wire attached to the j channel? Not sure I'm following.

Maybe you could almost press fit the frame in? Basically make it almost the exact same dimensions of your window and press fit it in allowing friction to hold it in place. That'll take advantage of the recess there too.

Maybe, I don't think I would trust that with all the wind where I live. You don't wanna know how often I fix props that blew over (Many times a day sometimes).

Maybe you could have the same thing from me above but make a coupling on the model so you could connect it to the frame without wind.

Maybe you could have the same thing from me above but make a coupling on the model so you could connect it to the frame without wind.

Still not sure I follow. So the frame is hanging with wire at the top. Where does the coupling go? What type of coupling? How do I keep it from banging against the window in the wind?

The pipe keeps it from bumping against the window, the coupling will go on the outside of the siding with a 3D printed piece on the other back side of the siding meaning no wire hanging down.

The pipe keeps it from bumping against the window, the coupling will go on the outside of the siding with a 3D printed piece on the other back side of the siding meaning no wire hanging down.

Ok, I think I get what you're saying now. So the PVC would clip into a 3d printed bracket stuffed into the j channel, and it wouldn't hit the window because it would hit the flashing around the window instead, and it's already right next to it. Sounds like the simplest and most likely best option. Thanks!

Consider a pair of adjustable spring-loaded curtain rods or spring-loaded shower rods. Mount on the top and bottom of the window against the sides and attach the frame to them. You could also mount the rods vertically on the left/right instead...

Last edited:
When I am installing lights around windows or doors I build a frame out of pvc and then just pressure fit it inside the window casing. For added strength especially on garage doors or large windows I use adhesive backed zip tie mounts. Once I test that the pvc frame fits snug I zip tie lights to it.
686b4b622ec9e9cb02c3a634bc55d99f.jpg

9d13fabf20b0524d63607f1e87272d14.jpg

88d319619953d8f5c4e722e7f6bd564e.jpg

948482710319d2855699a76c049ee1e6.jpg

b4409c55d674ec26f5e5463785eb425c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m not sure if this would work for your windows because I couldn’t really see the J channel. But my windows have J channel that is easy to access around the outside of each window so I took and some additional J channel and drilled holes in the bottom of the J to stick lights in and then the vertical our back or leg, whatever you wanna call that slides in behind the J channel on the window and just pressure fit’s in there.

I’m not sure if this would work for your windows because I couldn’t really see the J channel. But my windows have J channel that is easy to access around the outside of each window so I took and some additional J channel and drilled holes in the bottom of the J to stick lights in and then the vertical our back or leg, whatever you wanna call that slides in behind the J channel on the window and just pressure fit’s in there.

The j channel is only at the top and further out than the window, it is the trim at the bottom of the brown metal.

Back