How to secure a wireframe on slope of roof ?

NJ Plumber

Hi all, looking for ideas. I have a led wire frame ( Santa and reindeer ) it’s 4ft tall and 8 ft wide , broken down into three pieces. So I’m from New Jersey where snow and wind will be a factor , also my house is a cape cod with dormers up top. My roof slope is steep / 12/12?) , prob about 45 degrees or just a little under.

I have to check the weight of the decoration exactly , I was gonna atempt putting it halfway up the roof on the slope.
I’ve attached two pics one of the 3 piece wireframe & my roof
I planned to put on roof of garage to the right of house
My idea is to construct a frame out of unistrut.
At first I saw non penetrating tv dish satellite mount
With the unistut I’d have a base and adjustable pieces sticking up which I can make a box out of to connect the wireframe to.
I was gonna lay down roof mats , made to prevent slipping or etc.
Paint the frame for rain , weather etc prevent rust
Put it on top the mats and put sandbags down on top the areas I’ll leave sticking out for that purpose.
Wanted to avoid cinder blocks.

Any thoughts , ideas , suggestions highly appreciated.

With sandbags I was unsure of how many and how much weight should be in each
I guess since it’s three pieces I’d need to construct one large and wide one or 2/3

Attachments

• 331FD9EC-5DF0-4B2F-984F-DC1030DEB1F5.jpeg
    331FD9EC-5DF0-4B2F-984F-DC1030DEB1F5.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 69
  • B2010439-FBB0-4693-BD5C-101117C6E3AD.jpeg
    B2010439-FBB0-4693-BD5C-101117C6E3AD.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 75
I live in wester NY with heavy winds and lots of snow. I have a 4 piece santa(x2) 5' tall, sleigh 3' tall & chimney 3' tall, wire frame on my roof. I made a frame with 2x2 lumber, painted black, cup hooks to mount the wire frames to the base frame and zip ties to secure it . the key was extending the base over the roof peak (to prevent sliding) and patio blocks to hold it down. I wish I could take a pic for you but it's on the roof now with 6" of snow on the roof, so I can't get up there. I attached a crude drawing of what I did. we have already had 40+ mph winds and it hasn't moved an inch.... BTW each frame has its own mounting frame. roof bracket.jpg

You could build a frame out of 2 x 4's that are basically like a saw horse that matches the pitch of your roof.
use sand bags to hold that down and attach your wire frame to that

Great , thanks was concerned as they say don’t put anything on a steep roof where mine is about 45 degrees. Weight of sandbags ? What’s a good weight for them where they aren’t too light but not to heavy to cause damage

Back