How to ship low-cost (in US) with 40+lb. packages

ags0000

I'm selling GECE pixel strands. They weigh about 4 pounds per strand. I've been asked for quotes for 5, 10 or more strands. I don't typically sell and ship things out of my immediate area. I was shocked when I plugged weight and dimensions for 10 strands into the UPS online calculator for ground shipping - almost $100. I thought I must have made a mistake, so went to the local UPS store and asked - and got the same answer.

How do folks here ship heavy packages? It could take 1-2 weeks in transit at this point and it would be acceptable. $10 shipping/strand is not acceptable. When in the UPS store I asked about shipping as freight and was told that was only possible for much larger & heavier items.

Any ideas - how do you ship? Thanks.

Did you check to see how many you can fit in a large flat rate postal box?
I have gotten GECE's shipped to me this way in the past.
if they are out of their boxes, you can get a lot in a flat rate box.

Didn't think of that - breaking the orders into smaller boxes. I assumed that would be even more expensive - will check to see how many strands fit in a large box. Thanks for the idea (still looking for others).

FEDEX is much cheaper than UPS or USPS for large heavy packages, if you use an Account Number. It is very easy to open an account with FEDEX, as long as you have a Credit Card. That being said, Greyhound is about the cheapest way to ship larger/heavier boxes, but of course, they do not deliver to your home.

Grey hound, ,not kidding, they go by dimensions. Last year i shipped a package to Alabama, it was 6 boxes of really big lights, cost me $60

I’ve shipped kayaks through a freight company for pretty cheap. I used Yellow Freight a lot. The downside is that the buyer had to drive to a warehouse and pick up the boats.

The shipping manager was very accommodating and said he could ship a box of rbl for less than $10 which I thought was reasonable given alternatives.

Sorry, even Google couldn't help me with this (may not even be important). "rbl"??

I use this to compare shipping prices:
https://shipgooder.com/#/

FEDEX is much cheaper than UPS or USPS for large heavy packages, if you use an Account Number. It is very easy to open an account with FEDEX, as long as you have a Credit Card. That being said, Greyhound is about the cheapest way to ship larger/heavier boxes, but of course, they do not deliver to your home.
I agree with Rich, Fedex was always cheaper for big boxes compared to UPS and USPS. I didn't know greyhound shipped though.

USPS will ship flat rate up to 70lbs.

UPS also has a cheaper alternative, but takes a few days longer. Thats where they ship to the post office, and they to the final delivery. Cost wise...dunno, ive never shipped that way, but had stuff shipped to me using it.

Back