How to wire power for pixels

1amCDot

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, please let me know and I will post it in the proper one. :)

I am very new and very green to this. I am looking to use 12V WS2811 pixels on my roofline. I am going to need about 1500 pixels to do my entire roofline, so I am going to use 15 100-pixel WS2811 strings with xConnect connectors.

I am not very good at power, so this is where I need a lot of help.

From looking at things, I am probably going to use two 12V 30A 360W power supplies to power my pixels. I am planning on injecting power every 100 pixels. I am also thinking about using a Kulp Light KP16A-B controller with a Beaglebone Black to run the controller, thus using FPP and either xLights or Vixen to program the pixels.

My questions are:
- Do I need to use power distribution boards, or should I just use the controller for the power to my power injectors?
- What is the best way and/or recommended way to power my pixels?
- From what I have read, I will also want to connect my ground between the power supplies. Is that correct?

TIA for all of the information and suggestions. :)

I'm not a power or pixel expert but for me, I would use distribution boards, I do fudge on that some. Yes you will connect the grounds together but not the hots. Last thing, 1500 pixels on those to PS are very close if you run at 100%, most people do not but figured I would throw it out there. I run all mine around 20% and that's plenty bright enough and I have ran over 1200 pixels on just one PS at this low setting.

Others will likely weigh in that have better experience and knowledge, I think I am in year 3 with pixels or maybe 4th in.

Have fun

You don't need to inject every 100 pixels. You can do every 200.

Can't say "You can do every 200" If I have 400 pixels and inject 0 and 200/201 then how is 301-400 powered

I guess it can be said "You can do every 200, if you inject the end too."

CDot, to clarify; injection at 200 means to power at first pixel, then at pixel 200, then 400 This wiring is actually only powering every 100,
Power at first powers from 1 to 200. power at 200 powers 200 to 1 (reverse power.) and 200 to 400 forward power. power at 400 is reverse power 400-200.

The Spiker Lights Calculater is perfect for what you're needs:

http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx

PI every 100 is the rule of thumb but real world brightness makes a difference as well. I still like to plan for worst case and assume something could happen forcing my lights to 100% brightness, but fudge that where applicable as a somewhat inherent risk ha. I use my own fuse blocks instead of the distro boards so I can then run a larger amp fuse as the distro boards are usually only 5amp. This way I can use a longer run with a larger gauge wire that has multiple PI points on the same fuse. I suggest watching Bill Porter's presentation on PI using the method I described as it helped me a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L36VMP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR3QbzjpZy8&t=59s

Double-check your current requirements. For 1500 pixels I think that you need at least 100A of current (1500 * .060A = 90A, plus extra margin). If you're figuring .050A per pixel, then you need at least 80A (1500*.050 = 75A plus margin).

Last edited:
Can't say "You can do every 200" If I have 400 pixels and inject 0 and 200/201 then how is 301-400 powered

I guess it can be said "You can do every 200, if you inject the end too."

CDot, to clarify; injection at 200 means to power at first pixel, then at pixel 200, then 400 This wiring is actually only powering every 100,
Power at first powers from 1 to 200. power at 200 powers 200 to 1 (reverse power.) and 200 to 400 forward power. power at 400 is reverse power 400-200.

Actually, at 20% you can get away with every 300; especially if you have legit 18awg pixels. I'm running 600.pixels xconnect over an arch at 35% brightness.and injecting only both ends, and not even getting discoloration. I'm a 5v guy and power inject plenty, but on the house is one time I despise power injection.

Back