I need input about using fake trees for minis

mberta2

Hey guys. My mini tree idea fell through. I'm in a but of a panic trying to figure out what to do. I made all of my sequences to accommodate 8 mini trees with 50 to 60 rbg nodes each. I had originally planned to use tomato cages and wrap the rgb nodes around then, but they look terrible. I was thinking about buying some white, fake trees. Maybe 2ft to 3ft tall. I'm afraid they won't last long outside seeing as they are made for indoor use only. I was watching some sequences where people used white trees with rgb nodes and I love the look of the "glowing" tree. I live in central Illinois and am afraid they won't last long. What do to guys think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Why not buy the medium mini trees from Boscoyo studios. I use them as a 180 tree with 50 nodes for the tree and 10 in the star.

I use the Walmart artificial trees for last 3 years. I have them out from Dec 1 to Jan 2 and they have lasted. I like them. They look nice during the day. I used to use tomato cages and switched for same reason as you.

Dpitts, what kind of weather do you have? Last year my props were covered in ice when I brought them in so...

I also use the 6' Wal-mart trees. I cut the base off of them and just slip them over rebar. Easy and no problems with wind knocking them over. Picked them up for $7.50 each two years ago, retail was $49.00. They look like evergreens growing in the yard.

attachment.php

Attachments

• xenialights2013.jpg
    xenialights2013.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 294
Dpitts, what kind of weather do you have? Last year my props were covered in ice when I brought them in so...

I live in Colorado Springs at 7000ft elevation. Rarely get ice though and the snow is super dry. But many times I need to dig out the mini trees because they are buried in 1-2 feet of snow.

If have some V1 strips from James, was planning on wrapping 54" tomato cages with them. I have more than enough V1 strips I'd give u a deal on. When I tested them, they were nice and straight. PM if you wanna work something out.

I have a ton of mounting strips from holidaycoro. I ordered 75-94" sections when i was building my pixel tree. I knew they went fast so i bought like 3x more than i needed.I thought about using them but I'm not sure how I would do it. I am interested in the 180 trees from boscoyo. Anyone have pics of them?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I also use the 6' Wal-mart trees. I cut the base off of them and just slip them over rebar. Easy and no problems with wind knocking them over. Picked them up for $7.50 each two years ago, retail was $49.00. They look like evergreens growing in the yard.

attachment.php

Xenia, where's the snow? Are you setup for this year already? :razz:

I live in southern Indiana. We had a fair amount of snow this past year. My 4 foot trees still look brand new. They actually looked really nice covered in snow too a

871cdb5b9270c3818f90bc27b6f83552.jpg
a07c129e19a7c7dd8b620d61dbd272a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Walmart artificial trees for last 3 years. I have them out from Dec 1 to Jan 2 and they have lasted. I like them. They look nice during the day. I used to use tomato cages and switched for same reason as you.

I have 24 of them and are working great also.

I've got 10 artificial evergreen trees. They're about 3' tall and wrapped in leds. I've had them for 3 years in Chicago and previous to that they spent several years in central Indiana. They're holding up well. Similar to randy, I just slip them over rebar driven into the ground.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like a lot of boyscoyo's stuff, but I just couldn't love the minitrees... :-(

i got a couple to try and they just looked "too perfect." or too uniform.... not sure how to describe it, but I felt they just lost that christmas tree look. More like super-bright space cones :)

Nevertheless, Im trying to replace my old-school incan mini might trees with rgb lights this year.. and I need to build 20 minitrees. i WISH I could find affordable 3' or 4' fake trees to use (I don't have the luxury of waiting till the after-xmas sales).

Well based on my budget, and my lack of free time to work on the show, I'm gonna try the boscoyo minis. I understand what you mean about too pefect, but I think with the stars they will look good. They will match well with my new pixel mega tree this year too. I hope I like them. I just ordered them. I guess if I dont, I will use them and then get walmart trees after Christmas for next year. Thanks everyone for your input. This forum is awesome.

Thanks JonB. Those look amazing. I'm using rgb node this year for them, but I think I might have to step up to pixels next year. I wasn't going to use pixel all this year, but I later decided to build a 900 pixel mega tree. Blew most of my budget and time buying that and figuring out how it all works. These boscoyo med 180 trees will save me a bunch of time and money. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to add in the star. I only figured 60 nodes per tree, and those take 70 for the tree and star. I am using 2- 27ch holidaycoro rgb controllers to control 8 trees.

You do 5 columns of 10 on the trees and only 10 for the star. 10 for the star is just right. 20 makes it too bright so your 60 count is perfect.

Back