Ideas for Adding Pixels to these tree wireframes

curtinti

I picked up 4 flat white tree wireframes up from someone giving them away after New Years. They are 3, 4, 5 and 6ft. They are 100% working with incan AC lights but I want to rip those off and add pixels. I attached just one photo (they are all the same - just different sizes). Any thoughts on an approach to add pixels?

A few options I'd likely consider -

1. Vertical Boscoyo pixel trips giving it a traditional pixel tree look.
2. Zip tie along the outside outline and then interior zig zag of the wireframe starting in the bottom left corner (that would leave the end of the strand near the top so I can connect to a coro start topper)
3. Cover it in chromamesh (not too confident this will work out too well) and make it pretty dense with pixels

Any other suggestions?

Tim

Attachments

• white trees.jpg
    white trees.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 132
I tried, but I honestly don't have any suggestions. I thought of maybe trying LED strips, because your display is basically 2-dimensional and that's what strips are strong at. But the amount of work involved to do that is way more. Your strips would basically go horizontal, stacked on top of each other, and you would wrap around wire at the ends (which you would cut to length). The end result would be really good and really dense. But a lot of work.

Oh I know! EL wire. That would look really good on a wire frame like that. The tree would look neon. What I would do is weave in three strands of EL wire--red, green, and cool blue. And hook it up to an Arduino Uno using an Escudo Dos Arduino shield. And then flash the EL wires like it was an old-fashioned Christmas tree. You could control two trees with one Arduino (an Escudo has 8 channels, so you could add a 4th strand--maybe yellow). And because you are weaving EL in & out, the tree would look equally good from the back as from the front. Finally I would leave some solid whites at the base (probably not EL). That's exactly what I would do if I had the frame.

I’m not exactly sure what EL wire is. I was hoping to be able to connect via my Falcon f16 and not buy any additional controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EL wire basically looks like neon, but without the 2 kilovolt flyback transformers. You basically feed it a DC voltage.

http://www.elwirepros.com/
https://www.instructables.com/How-to-make-EL-Wire-Art/

Any DC controller will work. It's just that an Arduino with an El Escudo shield is best (unless you're doing a wearable, which you're not).

Of course, if we were talking about Halloween, let's go back to using those 2 kilovolt flyback transformers..... :evil::nasty::nasty::holloween::holloween:

Simple way would be to zip tie pixels to the frame (as you said in your request). Zig-zag back and forth then add a custom model to your sequencer.

I took large tomato cages and wrapped lights around the outside then wrapped heap garland around them to make them look realistic during the day.

I currently use single color strings but i believe that the pixels would look good also. The led strings light up the whole tree while the garland makes it so that you do not focus on the individual strings.

How would you waterproof EL wire?
Oh I know! EL wire. That would look really good on a wire frame like that. The tree would look neon. What I would do is weave in three strands of EL wire--red, green, and cool blue. And hook it up to an Arduino Uno using an Escudo Dos Arduino shield. And then flash the EL wires like it was an old-fashioned Christmas tree. You could control two trees with one Arduino (an Escudo has 8 channels, so you could add a 4th strand--maybe yellow). And because you are weaving EL in & out, the tree would look equally good from the back as from the front. Finally I would leave some solid whites at the base (probably not EL). That's exactly what I would do if I had the frame.

Back