I'm about to let people know how dumb I really am

Brian Anderson

I'm about to let people know how dumb I really am. How do I hook my 595 Olsen to my computer? I know stupid right? I bought these kits years ago and just got around to putting then together to give to a friend who has been helping me with my display for a few years. He wants something basic so I am going to give him these. I also have the 4 Channel Sean B SSR's and I know how to use them. But I need to know how to connect the 595 to the computer. I think its use to be using a parallel port but I don't have one of those on my computer any more.
Thanks
Brian

Well, if you do not have a parallel port on your computer, you will either have to buy a card, or purchase/build a Ren-C board to enable that to run off of a Serial Port. The serial port may not be on your computer either, but you can easily add one of those via a USB->Serial converter. The USB -> Parallel do not work for these types of devices.

Brian,

Just FYI, Sean's SSRs are dimmable (the 595 is not). A REN64XC would be the perfect partner to go with the SSRs that give you full dimming for 64 channels. Just a thought as the SSRs are where the cost is on this type of system.

Cheers,
Chris

Either way you need to purchase some new hardware, be that a parallel port for the computer or an adaptor for the 595 or even a whole new controller.

The cheapest option will be a printer port for your computer. this will give you On/Off control. Synchronising your lights with On/Off control is still very satisfying.
Replacing the 595 board with a Renard as suggested will be the next option.
if the budget will extend further, I would recommend RPM's Grinch Dimmer. You will have full Dimming control on all light channels. This will bring you into the DMX realm and enable you to add other display items like smoke blowers or Laser lights.

Thanks for the help! As I said in the post I had this already and am going to give it away. He just wants the basic and if he changes his mind then he can add things. It's not for me. I'll go see if I can find a card at a used store. There are bunches around here.
What we needed was to figure out how to get his computer to talk to it. Thanks again!
Brian

Just to be clear though... You cannot use a USB to parallel port adapter. It has to be a "real" parallel port vi a card installed into a PC, or possible a PC card plugged into a laptop.

Brian,

Just FYI, Sean's SSRs are dimmable (the 595 is not). A REN64XC would be the perfect partner to go with the SSRs that give you full dimming for 64 channels. Just a thought as the SSRs are where the cost is on this type of system.

Cheers,
Chris

With a Ren-C, I thought the 595 was dimmable as well, no? Also, I actually had some of Sean's SSRs. Some of them used a different BOM and the Opto's made it so they were not dimmable.

dumb i believe is more of an action than a lack of knowledge @ least on this forum we all have our mental strengths and have our lack of knowledge in all of this.

Back