Implementing fina pan/tilt movement

I think I know the answer to this one (as I was involved in the beta testing of the intelligent fixture feature) but in Vixen is there any way of implementing fine pan/tilt control where these use two channels each? The only solution I can think of is to us the generic DMX effect to send the required values on the two values to give a more accurate position. These units also have a 'movement speed' channel, so setting the required 'endpoints' in the data the units can be made to move smoothly between the two values by selecting an appropriate speed.

1 = Pan coarse (0 -> 540 deg)
2 = Pan fine
3 = Tilt coarse (0 -> 270 deg)
5 = Tile fine
6 = Speed (0 = fastest. 255 = slowest)

Some of the units I have been testing (since returned due to other firmware issues) don't allow adjustment of the pan range on the unit's menu, so it's set at 540 degrees. With coarse tilt only then each DMX step gives about 2 degrees mocement.

For the moving head wash units I own you can limit the pan range to 180 degrees which means each DMX value step is 0.7 degrees using just the 'coarse' channel. So these work reasonably well using the coarse channels only.

Vixen Intelligent Fixtures have built in support for 16 bit pan/tilt channels. This support should be enabled by default if you define the two Pan and two Tilt channels in succession. The 'Set Position' effect logic takes the selected position from the curve and determines the correct value to put in the Coarse channel and the correct value to put in the Fine channel. The user controls both channels (coarse & fine) with the one curve. In theory this should provide smooth movement. Are you looking to control the coarse and fine channels individually?

I connected my fixture to the Debugging Values controller. I used the 'Set Position' effect with a duration of 12 seconds. I configured the Pan curve starting 0 and ending at 1. The course channel increased from 0 to 5. The fine channel cycled several times over 0-255.

Back