Interactive "control panel" for display

Snunicycler

Interactive "control panel" for display

Ok so my wife and I were talking about plans for a future display and one of the ideas I had that we were both excited about is potentially having a low stim setup on some nights. She works for a children's hospital, and kids with special needs are close to her heart. I was hoping to build some sort of controller, a table more or less, that is set up with large buttons, sliders, etc. that a kid could use to change brightness and colors (slow fades) kind of like a giant toy.

I've been learning a lot about the programmed displays over the past couple of years and have a pretty good idea about what I'll need for that display, but I don't know where to start with this idea and haven't found anything searching either. Is that something I could potentially do with the falcon F16 board that I'll use for my normal display? Or will I need to have a dedicated setup specifically for this? I was hoping it would be easy enough to disconnect the raspberry pi to switch to this controller, and then swap back for the normal display nights

I know dmx controllers already exist and could probably work, but they all look like they'd be difficult for a child that doesn't have great dexterity in their hands. Maybe there's a way to create my own, or modify one to work?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Re: Interactive "control panel" for display

Why ditch the PI?

First how good are you at writing Python or C++?

The PI has a large number of inputs. Some are digital (switches/Buttons etc) and others are analog (Sliders and knobs). You can also get I2C IO boards that already have such things on them. Then you use those inputs to trigger a python script that triggers actions taken by the FPP code. The available actions are pretty extensive and are documented on the FPP site. Then you have the PI drive your controllers just like they would for a show. You can even incorporate these elements into your show (Shut down the high intensity stuff and let the lights be manually controlled).

Re: Interactive "control panel" for display

Why ditch the PI?

First how good are you at writing Python or C++?

The PI has a large number of inputs. Some are digital (switches/Buttons etc) and others are analog (Sliders and knobs). You can also get I2C IO boards that already have such things on them. Then you use those inputs to trigger a python script that triggers actions taken by the FPP code. The available actions are pretty extensive and are documented on the FPP site. Then you have the PI drive your controllers just like they would for a show. You can even incorporate these elements into your show (Shut down the high intensity stuff and let the lights be manually controlled).

Oh I guess I don't have to ditch the pi, just assumed I would need to. I didn't realize that would be an option, that's great!

I have a few Python books I've been going through to learn it but honestly not much experience there. Most of my coding knowledge is just html/css and actionscript 2 I learned in college 15 years ago. I'll check out the fpp actions, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have a 7" touchscreen in the dash of my Santa Sleigh connected to a Pi 3B.
It normally displays different Santa pictures but if you touch it, it starts a video where you are looking thru Santa's eye's and flying the sleigh.
I am sure there is some way to use more if the touchscreen for more than this.
Here is the help I got from Falcon Christmas to get it going.
https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=15316.0

Back