INTEREST ONLY: Renard ESP8266 WiFi Adapter Group Buy

ukewarrior

This is to gauge interest in a second round of this group buy.

If you would want some of these units as the PCB and BOM, then please post in this thread with the number you'd probably buy.
This is not a commitment on your part to purchase, but the numbers will determine if a Group Buy is started by me or not.
Thanks!

I imagine it would be the same or identical to the first round:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?40309-RENESP-Renard-ESP8266-WiFi-Adapter-Group-Buy-for-PCB-and-BOM&p=398587#post398587

i am interested. Assuming i need atleast 1 to get from the PC or FPP to the first board, then i could daisy chain from there correct? Or place one on each board right?

This technology sits with existing Renard controllers and allows them to become wireless via wifi.
So.. I'm not sure I understand the question regarding integration with a Falcon Pi Player.
i am interested. Assuming i need atleast 1 to get from the PC or FPP to the first board, then i could daisy chain from there correct? Or place one on each board right?

This technology sits with existing Renard controllers and allows them to become wireless via wifi.
So.. I'm not sure I understand the question regarding integration with a Falcon Pi Player.
I think he is thinking it's like zigbee radio's, one to send and one to receive.
And no that is not the case. You only need one at the controller. At the pc you have a WiFi router sending out the signal.

If the Pi outputs wifi, (or my PC puts ou wifi, depending on which I use) then my first RenSS will pick up the signal right?

If the Pi outputs wifi, (or my PC puts ou wifi, depending on which I use) then my first RenSS will pick up the signal right?

So to answer your question, yes. Your PC or Pi put out a Ethernet signal to your wifi router that puts a wireless signal in the air for your tablet, phone, TV and the ESP. The ESP and attached board from this buy, receive the wifi signal and convert it to renard for the board it's plugged into. You can hard wire daisy chain to the next renard as normal. Or zigbee wireless to the output to the zigbee on your next renard. You can plug one of these into each renard and they all would receive a wifi signal converted to renard. Renard is so versatile.

So... we are around 20 units.....
Hopefully, there is more interest to justify a group buy.
It is hard to justify if we don't get more interest because there isn't much of a price break on the parts vs everyone just buying their own.
If nothing else, I can do a GB for just the bare PCBs, that is one item where the quantity can be pretty low and still see a significant cost savings.

So... we are around 20 units.....
Hopefully, there is more interest to justify a group buy.
It is hard to justify if we don't get more interest because there isn't much of a price break on the parts vs everyone just buying their own.
If nothing else, I can do a GB for just the bare PCBs, that is one item where the quantity can be pretty low and still see a significant cost savings.

You have a fair amount of GB experience. How many do we need to break even, ballpark? We won't hold you to it. Just looking for a idea where we need to be.

So... it needs to be such that I can get a buy of parts done much cheaper than an individual.
You figure you have to pay shipping anyway you do this, either from me or someone like mouser.
So, it all comes down to the price break on the individual parts. The parts counts are small on these, so that works against us too.
The first go around was over 100, so that made it a no brainer.
That's the long answer to say.... I don't know for sure.
Certainly the minimum for any savings is 25, better at 50 and tremendous at 100.
So, I'll leave this thread open for a couple of weeks and we will see where we are.
One thing I do know and that is there is always a savings on doing just the PCBs because so much of their cost is the shipping. It can be typically 40% of the overall PCB cost.
Therefore, worst case is that I will run a PCB GB for sure.
You have a fair amount of GB experience. How many do we need to break even, ballpark? We won't hold you to it. Just looking for a idea where we need to be.

I would be interested in 3 or 4 BOM's. If you ended up doing boards only, I would probably take some more just to have on the shelf.

I'd still be in for 4, but could do a couple more especially if it gets us over the threshold. If just boards I'd likely pick up a few extra to put on the shelf as well

Back