INTEREST ONLY - VLP SWR Meter

imbluenote

All,
I am gauging interest in organizing a group buy for the VLP SWR Meter that Idunbehad developed in 2012. In short, the VLP SWR Meter, in combination with a DVM/VOM, will allow you to have the ability to measure your antenna to ensure it is tuned to your specifc frequency.

Link to the original thread is below:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20173-VLP-SWR-Meter

I have already spoken to Idunbenhad with running this since it is his design and he fine with going ahead with it, and I have a PM in to Brian as well for his approval which i am not sure i need from the Group Buy rules, but never hurts to have! In the meantime i wanted to see if this was even going to have enough people interested to warrant it.

Since this is my 1st GB i will be limited to 25 people or 100 BOM's from the rules. My pricing estimates below are based on 25 BOM's since I think I would hit that limit first before the 100 BOM's, if we do go over my estimate of 1 BOM person the costs would likely go down (or could obviously increase if not enough are interested).

Board - $2
BOM (as listed in the PDF on the original thread) - $9-10

Again these are estimates only and could go up or down depending on the number of people that get in, how many BOM's/Boards are ordered, and final prices from vendors but i think it is a reasonable estimate. I also haven't tried to source from other places either so the BOM costs may go down as well from that. There would of course be the shipping and PayPal fees, est. $6 if i have to ship in a Small Flat Rate Box. I may try to use bubble mailers to bring that cost down as well.

One item of note, this was specifically designed to be installed in a project enclosure box. There is one listed in the BOM, and when i checked, mouser has them available. I fear though, that the shipping costs to me and then back out to you would not make the cost savings on a small amount of these boxes worthwhile. Radio Shack has similarly sized boxes for the approximately the same cost which most can get locally. So i do not plan on including project box in the GB.

So what i need to know if you all are interested in having this, and if so how many boards and/or BOM's you would want. Please respond in this thread with the quantity of each if you are interested.

If there is enough interest i would anticipate shipping these out in April at the earliest as nothing has been ordered at this time.

Again, I am still pending response from Brain, so nothing is definite yet, but I meet all the group buy rules so i am not sure why it couldn't go forward.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeff

Hi:
DanielSkeen: I'm in for one. Is there a source for the mico-amp meters? Might be nice to put both of them in a single box.

Only 1 meter is required. They can be obtained from a number of sources, including Ebay, just do a search for "Microammeters:Electrical & Test Equipment"

It is much simpler just to use a DVM and much cheaper, too, if you already have one!!

Last edited:
Looks like there is enough interest so i am going to proceed with this. I have converted the expressPCB to gerbers (many thanks to djulien!) to be able to get a better price on the boards. I need to review them to make sure there are no errors (i'll send the gerbers to anyone with a more trained eye than me too if interested) and i will be ordering a small run as well to make sure they look good. I will hopefully have time to get the test run ordered this weekend or early next week, and I would presume about a 3 week turn around on the test boards.

Keep posting if interested.

Back