Is the Grinch controller still avialable

JLaw

Hi, I'm new to the site. I have read that the grinch controller can be purchase from wjohn, but haven't seen any recent post. Can you still purchase the Grinch Controller board?

Thank you,

James

That will be hard to find. The best place is to watch the buy/sell/trade section of the forum, and maybe put out a wtb request there.

If you can solder, you can make one on perfboard. It's a simple design.

Though, by the time you're done making a grinch and then making all the SSR's you'll need to drive lights, you'll find your costs will be fairly close to the Renard design which has some additional features you might want eventually:

1. Dimming.
2. The ability to drive 120V AC lights as well as DC lights - depending on the renard - mix and match.
3. RS485 - the advantage being Renards can be further away from the computer than the grinch.
4. Current design - means you'll find more folks who can help you if you get stuck.
5. Upgradable to DMX, a lighting control standard used by the music and theater industry.

I went through this pondering process a couple of years ago myself, and I went Renard instead of the Grinch.

Ok I'll bite, been on here for a little while with mostly just poking around and dragging my feet to try and figure out what controllers to pickup/use and not make any mistakes(learning from yours?) so what renard boards match up with the 5 points that you list. Figured out that most layouts have good and bad limits with voltage, current, com, on board SSR's or not. Lets heir your story........

Thanks

If you are new to the site, and new to Blinky/Flashy lights, and are reading the Wiki and thinking the Grinch is a good board for you as a beginner, it is not anymore, look at the a Renard board.

That is what I thought 4 years ago when I first found this site. It may have changed but I remember reading the wiki and thinking the Grinch was the beginner board of choice. I wish they we're listed as "Legacy" or something like that so I would have skipped to reading about the Renards.

Now if you already have a Grinch an know that is definitely what you want then sorry to chime in. The previous post about checking the buy/sell section to find a used one is probably your best bet

Last edited:
I honestly think the SS series, the SS8, SS16 and SS24 are the best boards for beginners who want to run regular ac strings of lights. There are literally thousands of them in use, the wiki has great instructions and you can always find someone who can help you if there is an issue. The SS series are usually sold cheaply during Jan-Feb in a group buy.

If you are looking at pixels, then the PX1 and the E682 are the main pixel controllers most folks use.

Unfortunately I think it is getting more confusing to get into this hobby because they keep releasing new Renard boards but the old ones are still available, supported, and and relevent.

I recommend the Renard 24HC or the 24SS for your AC switching need. Then buy a 48LSD if you venture into DC. I prefer the on board SSRs because I like having the large boards, well protected, with just power wires running all over my yard.

Others prefer to complicare the wiring, drop the wire count WAY down by running power and signal wires, deal with having a bunch of smaller SSRs all over their yard to protect, but not have as many waisted channels to deal with. I have no recommendations here because I don't know this world, lol.

Either design has its plusses and minuses, but the good news is neither design is wrong. There is nothing anyone could say to convince me I made the wrong decision going on board SSRs, but if I chose off board 4 years ago I would be saying the same thing.

Hi i was cleaning out some boxes and came across about 10 Grinch circuit boards and about 50 or more relay circuit boards. I bought them from wjohn..and never used them.
I am willing to part with for cheap.
Garnet

i am looking for a ren-c for my grinch and olson. if wjohn is no longer engaged, is there a way for someone else to begin producing the boards again? Are the pcbexpress files still around someplace?

I am not necessarily volunteering but if there is still demand for the boards like the grinch, then it may be worth one more run. The grinch is a very goo dplace to start for newbies. It is cheap, has lots of channels and can be added to a renard chain with a ren-c in the future.... or are parallel ports just too obsolete to go forward with this.

Any thoughts?

Hi Andy !!!

I agree with all of the posters above that the Renard series boards are great boards that will give you some features that aren't available with a 595 or Grinch board.

I've seen a few Grinch and Ren-C for sale the past couple of years but they have become quite hard to find.

However, I'm pretty sure I have a Ren-C in my box of old boards that I may be willing to part with. Let me know which firmware you want, and what baud, 57600 or 1152000 (I ran it at 115200) and I will test it to make sure it still works. It worked fine the last time I used it in 2012.

Let me know if you are interested.

I have an assembled Ren-C, Grinch, and 16 SSR's I can let go for $76.00 which includes shipping + PP. I don't want to break them up they get along so well.

Gary

Attachments

• SANY0017.jpg
    SANY0017.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Back