Jack-o-lantern lights

Hogfather

So I am toying with the idea of doing an animated Halloween display. I'd like to do some "singing" jack-o-lanterns that are synchronized to music. What could I use to illuminate the jack-o-lanterns that would work with my RenardSS? I'm thinking one jack-o-lantern per channel, maybe two if I want to do multi colors.

I bought some cheapo JOL's from BigLots that had single bulbs in them - I ran each on a separate channel. I also had a true singing JOL using one of Dougp's wireframes and 10-11 channels (2 for eyes, rest for mouth). You could definitely put more than one on a single channel though if you wanted.

I lite mine up with these xenon storbes. http://www.genesislamp.com/to47strela.html They look pretty spooky. This year I'm going to hook the power supply to my Renard. These are pricey but I think there are comparable ones for about $5. Mine were given to me so I actually had no idea how much those bulbs were till I just looked....

My plan is to make paper mache pumpkins and then fill each one with a string of 50 or 100 mini lights. I'm just wondering if the mini lights will look bad or be noticeable in the pumpkin. I would like to use my RenardSS to sequence the pumpkins so I don't have to buy extra controllers or hardware. I was also thinking of using one Mighty Mini in each pumpkin but I think that requires another controller and it may be overkill.

Ideally, I like to use a matrix of like 9 or 16 LEDs (3 or 4 of each of red, green, blue) for each pumpkin and have each color a channel. So each pumpkin is 3 channels and I can use multiple colors in each pumpkin. Like a "mini Mighty mini" that the Renard can control. I have not found anything yet like this.

I used the Renard with a single C7 in each paper mache pumpkin. You can see them on halloween.maloneylights.com. I think the strands of mini's would look fine too.
Also, if you wanted to go with led's you could build on of the various dc boards to control it.

If you want RGB lack-o-lanterns and your up for home etch you cold check out This Thread. There is a picture and a short video in post #20.

I made these as mini tree toppers but plan to make a few more with UV LED instead of white and doping them in some pumpkins for Holloween. They are DC so they wont run off your SS controller. I run mine off a Renard 16 Simple.

Tyler

Tyler, that looks awesome! Home etching is a little beyond me. If you ever decide to sell the PCBs let me know!

I think I just need to make a couple of jack-o-lanterns and experiment with minis and C7s. I'm always open to suggestions though.

Hogfather, Thank you for the compliment. I don't have any interest in having these boards made for resale. But you or anyone else is welcome to have them made I will release the files if anybody wants them. I will be etching some more for personal use. I still need 6 more+1 spare. I never put anything in the field without a spare. Anyway I can get 6 out of 1 piece of 4x6 pcb material so that spare puts me into the second piece of pbc. That means I'll be making 12 its just the way I do things. If I'm going to get the etching tank out I'm going to use it. So I should have 5 unneeded boards when all is said and done. If you would like I can send them to you. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

Tyler

Back