Kasa smart plugs with xlights?

eatumup

Ive got some Kasa smart plugs that im thinking to use to control some static lights. My other option is to use my esp8266 along with an 8ch relay board (im only using 3 relays). My ESP has wled on it. From what I have read, i should be able to get fpp to tell wled to trigger the relays using multirelay user mod, but im struggling trying to figure out how to do it.

Im feeling the pressure of time and since I have the Kasa units already, I though that might be a more simple way to handle it. Ive already go fpp talking to them, but i want to get my sequence to trigger them. Im totally open to suggestions here.

how do you setup the Kasa smart plugs in xlights? or even can you?

You mentioned static and sequence. The two are different to me.

Static: Turn on at dusk and turn off at 10 PM. Those Kasa devices are great for this and you do not need FPP or xLights.

Sequence: Turn on / off at specific moments to create an effect. These devices will not do well on quick transitions (forget fast or in sync). Unless you are doing changes at less than a 2 second rate AND you do not need more than one plug to change at a time, this is not going to be a great solution.

I tried this with Wemo smart plugs, and the catch was, those are mechanical relays. I'll bet Kasas are the same. That means switch them very seldom, and dimming is absolutely out. Or you will.find yourself buying new Kasas.

Yup,
dont intend on any fast switching or dimming. ive just got some old A/C lights that im using to light up some bushes. the idea here is to have them turn on/off here and there. those are on the list to get replaced next year. just a little bit at a time.
my relay board is also mechanical so it would have the same problem.

But as suggested, the plan is light duty.

I believe Kasa talks to Alexa, and for that to work, it has to talk rest API. And if it talks rest API, it should be able to interface with falcon. Only question is, is that API public? Or can you at least snoop it?

Back