Led matrix board

Neoncat

I'm a new person this site looking for any and all help you can give me. I want to build a matrix board using ws2801 or the ws2811 pixel lights in this project. The size of the board I am using is 4x2.feet. After that I need your help I was thinking about the number of lines I would use and it went like this either 150,200 300. It's here that it gets confusing what voltage should I use how much what type of controller and of course what type of computer programs to run. Right now I just want something that I can play with and see where it takes me to. Any suggestions on how to do this right will be greatly appreciated. Neon catch.

What do you mean by lines? Do you want it to be as dense as possible? Do you want to use strips, 5050/WS2811 SMD pixels, or 12mm strings?
My suggestion, use 30LED/m or 60LED/m strips, very easy to make matrix out of them (see here, this board is made out of 30LED/m 5m strip, 10 x 15 pixels, ~12" x 18".)
60LED/m will give you much better density, 4 times more pixels.

To build 2' x 4' board, you will need 6 30LED/m 5m strips (20 x 40 = 800 pixels) or 14 60LED/m 4m strips (40 x 80 = 3200 pixels.)
You will need 5V power supply, at least 30A for the first design, and at least 120A for the second.

Thanks for answering so quickly to my questions.i should have been more clear on my project i want to make a ping pong ball matrix board i like the way the balls diffuse the color that whyi wanted help infiguring out the best way of doing this.when you mentioned the led strip way i have seen this way too i have two questions one i seen a couple ones where the strips were strip to strip from top to bottom on others their was some space between them ? I like colors that why i want? To a matrix board to experiment with the diffirent program out there.again thanks neoncat

I did ping pong balls along gutters last year at 8 inch spacing, it was totally custom. You might want to prototype the spacing with the balls to be sure that you are happy with the results. Also, the cheap plastic balls come in two sizes 38mm and 40mm. I don't think that you can get the strips in large enough spacing to support the ping pong balls. The easy way do this, would be to buy wired strings of the WS2801/WS2811 and drill holes in the wood at your desired spacing. The controllers are setup for 512 channels or 170 RGB lights per output type. So make the board fit how you are going to drive the lights. You can also buy the individual WS2811 LED's on a little board and wire them together at whatever spacing you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-PCB-...090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25796dae22

If you are looking for 2801Matrix panels check our Rainbow Matrix Panels.

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/intelligent-pixels/167-rainbow-matrix.html

We are working on videos of them in action but we just posted pictures of them in action on our Facebook page on Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.533055276747130.1073741825.165810776804917&type=3

Sean has also promised to get them added to Nutcracker so you can easily program them and export your programming to any program software. Pretty neat stuff!!

Back