Led Spacing

Depends on the distance to the viewer. I'll let the experienced Panel Builders comment, but 1/2 or 1 inch seems to be common.

I am going with 15mm (25.4mm to the inch), so that the panel fits in nicely on the front of the house.

John.

We user a simple half sheet of Peg board and it works fine. We can read the sign, at night, from 2 ft away to over a block away.

Zane said:
We user a simple half sheet of Peg board and it works fine. We can read the sign, at night, from 2 ft away to over a block away.

Zane,

is that 25.4mm pegboard or that other type - the 1 inch pegboard..

wjohn said:
is that 25.4mm pegboard or that other type - the 1 inch pegboard..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish I could draw the little smily guy on his head so you didn't have to look at him upside down John...
jeff

Anyone have a good source for the led holders?

Thanks, DocTanner

jcxjdeiwdzhi6.gif

HongKong LEDs - Leads to short for 1" spacing

I got a sheet of the 1" peg board. Found that the leads on the LEDs from Hong Kong are to short to connect without wire.

Not sure if I am going to drill closer holes or just start wire wrapping.

Also wondering about the focus. Seems to avoid bright spots all LEDs need to be angled the same way. Looks like it is difficult to do with the pre-drilled wood since the whole are just slightly to large for the 5mm LEDs.

ms

Matt,

1/2 spacing allows you to use the LED legs and just bend them in tohe direction required.

I am going with 15mm (2/3) inch for the same reason.

John.

3/4 is the max you can go without buswire
and yes all the leds should be facing the same way

wjohn said:
Matt,

1/2 spacing allows you to use the LED legs and just bend them in tohe direction required.

I am going with 15mm (2/3) inch for the same reason.

John.

Thought about that, but I would have to drill :(

However seems like at this point drilling would be quicker then adding bus wire. I mocked up a pannel with 32 leds on the 1" board. It was a MAJOR pain! I have cut the peg board and painted it. So I should have measured twice and cut once. Oppps.

I built a mini 32 LED board on a board with solder pads, that was real quick and easy. Did this just to test my boards. It has created a couple questions that I will be posting shortly.

ms

ms

Spacing Template / Drill technique?

Since I can't find board pre drilled to 3/4" or 15mm (both suggested hole spacing) has anyone created a template that can be printed and used for the whole spacing pattern?

I am going to get some un drilled mdf sheets and do 3/4" or less spacing but don't have a jig setup to get the spacing right, so a paper pattern would work. If you have done this and have such a pattern please let me know before I start making my own. Or if there is a better suggestion for drilling technique...

Thanks
ms

Re: Spacing Template / Drill technique?

stempile said:
Since I can't find board pre drilled to 3/4" or 15mm (both suggested hole spacing) has anyone created a template that can be printed and used for the whole spacing pattern?
Thanks
ms

I just drew this up, maybe it will help. Just be sure when printing that it doesn't get scaled. It is a .750" grid. Just print as many as you need and tape them together. If you have access to a plotter, I can make the grid as large as you want to make it on a single sheet.
8)

Attachments

• 750_grid_192.pdf
    5 KB · Views: 76
Re: Spacing Template / Drill technique?

stempile said:

I am going to get some un drilled mdf sheets and do 3/4" or less spacing but don't have a jig setup to get the spacing right, so a paper pattern would work. If you have done this and have such a pattern please let me know before I start making my own. Or if there is a better suggestion for drilling technique...

Thanks
ms

you might want to read the holes post I made.... it describes a method that I feel could fit your needs....

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151

Back