Ledtriks x2 issues

Aurbo99

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've finally got my second Ledtriks up and running after all these years. I've never run a pair of 'triks panels together before and need some guidance.

Setup:

2x 3 panel Ledtriks display running from the Ledtriks driver board off a Triks-C

Display 1 --- Display 2

Display 1 Triks-C jumper J6 set to main (no jumpers)
Display 1 Triks driver board Board Address SEL set to 1

Display 2 Triks-C jumper J6 set to 2 (jumper on 4th set of pins)
Display 2 Triks driver board Board Address SEL set to 1

Triks.dat file is as follows
COM8:

Now, my issue is that BOTH Display 1 and Display 2 run in "stereoscopic" mode, both sets of display panels show the same images.
Scrolling text or images, both will start and end within the confines of their own panels and wont pass along in a continuous left to right sweep

It appears both Trik-C's are running independent of each other despite the fact they are chained.

Any Clues?

Hi Steve,

I am running pair of panels (Peg board construction) side by side setup, with Pix C interfaces in parallel, one in each panel, but still running LTC to drive them without any hassles now :)

The "Dat" file is as below :-

com1:

That is about as much as I can be of help as I don't have the Triks-C interface.

Cheers,

Terry

PS - See if TimW is still about he is the Guru :)

Thanks Terry

Scouring through the forum I came across a post you made back in 2010 regarding the same issue.

Can you confirm that was the way to go?

1. create a "Y" adapter , 2 rj45 ends from the single rs232/rj45 dongle.
2. run each end to separate Trik-C boards, no series(in/out) connections.
3. set each Trik-C board to 1 and 2 on jumpers

Hi Steve,

"1. create a "Y" adapter , 2 rj45 ends from the single rs232/rj45 dongle.
2. run each end to separate Trik-C boards, no series(in/out) connections.
3. set each Trik-C board to 1 and 2 on jumpers"

Fundamentally that is the way mine are operating.

As I intimated earlier I am using Pix-C's not Trik-C's and both of the Pix-C's are in parallel across the same RS485 line. Also, the Pix-C in each panel is software programmed to be either No 1 or No 2 panel in the setup. When operating, the text starts scrolling from the No 2 panel across into No 1 Panel when they are laid out side by side.

The parallel operation of the two Pix-C's, in my case, was due to Andrew, (Labrat), not being able to get the data pass-through function operating successfully when he ported the Trik-C setup into the "Pic" world (PIC16F688). That being said, I have had no issues since I got the panels operating, barring power-supply failures, and USB / Serial port data contention issues :-( but that had nothing to do with the interfaces :)

Another trap I fell into was to ensure that I select the correct board layout on the "Ledtricks" pull down tab when generating the *.LED file within Vixen. If only one panel is selected during the file creation funny things happen when they are played back!! I will admit that am "lazy" and accept the default settings in Vixen as well, which seems to work for me.

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks Terry

I think you may have mentioned my solution without realizing it, my .led files were originally created on a SINGLE panel layout.

I'm removing the Y adapter and putting the single back in.

** And I guess I better get off my butt and build a .led sequence builder for Vixen3..

Cheers

Solved

Trik-C's work fine, configured correctly as per the wiki, and running .led files created for 1x2 panels.

I was testing with my old 1x1 panel .led files.:blush:

If we are to use LedTriks with V3, then either a V2 style editor or a stand alone ledtriks editor is needed.

Another option for would be to add a direct controller output for the LEDTriks. FPP has a Triks-C Channel Output which treats the LEDTriks panels like a regular matrix so you can use all normal sequencer tools to drive the panels. You sequence as if it were a RGB matrix but FPP only uses the 'R' channels and anything non-zero is On.

Solved

Trik-C's work fine, configured correctly as per the wiki, and running .led files created for 1x2 panels.

I was testing with my old 1x1 panel .led files.:blush:

Hi Steve,

Brilliant, I am pleased that the answer was simple, more like "finger trouble" :)

I figure that you are not the only person to fall into that trap, or the last one to do so either :)

Best of luck organising an alternative method of creating *.LED files.

Cheers,

Terry

Another option for would be to add a direct controller output for the LEDTriks. FPP has a Triks-C Channel Output which treats the LEDTriks panels like a regular matrix so you can use all normal sequencer tools to drive the panels. You sequence as if it were a RGB matrix but FPP only uses the 'R' channels and anything non-zero is On.

I would suggest you look into this as an alternative. I played with this and my 4x LEDTriks panel and it works quite well. After so many years (5 or 6?) my LEDTriks has yet to be packaged up for use outdoors so not sure it will ever really be used but if you already have yours ready to go then consider this option.

My mind has become mush the last few days of non stop sequencing..

Was there a stand alone Ledtricks image editor release a few years back? what was it called?, where is it?

I'm installing V2 on my laptop to edit .led files in case I have to go back out on the big blue wet thing this week, but hope there is another utility I can use as well.

Building the LED Panel for the LEDTRIKS was one of those ' does your mind in' jobs! Sitting down with a piece of pegboard, 768 LEDs, copper wire, and a day off was not what a lot of people call fun. i don Work like writing document about this as guide on dissertation revision.

With P10 panels so cheap now, it doesn't make sense to build triks.
Not to build, but to use if you have one. Using xLights, I have more options than ever. I really didn't want to spend another 35.00 for a Pi. 40.00 for the BBB, whatever for the Octoscroller (I guess not needed now), and 10.50 each for the P10's plus getting to buy the lexan and make a box. Especially with the failure rate I have seen others complain about in the panels.

Agreed.

I can only think of one reason, and that is if you are trying for an "older look" in the display.
The "older look" is red, but it does the job just fine.

Back